64 | A Visit To The Grave

A Visit To The Grave

TW: Mature, intimate/sexual scenes and talk of murder and torture.

Sunday 21st August, 1977

Elizabeth closes her eyes and thinks of the location she's apparating to, and within a second, she's there without splinching. Elizabeth lands close to flawlessly. She's surprised how easy it is to apparate. All her life she's been told how dangerous it is, how most Witches and Wizards prefer floo powder or Portkey's as Apparition is so dangerous and difficult.

Elizabeth immediately sees the Selwyn plot in the graveyard. She knows where Jake is buried, she knows where Cassilda is buried. Elizabeth had buried Cassilda, her baby sister, four days ago.

The funeral had been pathetically small. Only Elizabeth, Jonathan, Elladora, Divicci, Ambrose, Aspen and aunt Irma had attended. No one else knew Cassilda was anything but insane.

The funeral had been quick and clean. As soon as Cassilda had been lowered into the ground, Elizabeth's cousins and aunt had left. She, her brother and parents had stayed until it was nightfall.

As soon as Jonathan and Elizabeth had returned to Selwyn Manor, Elizabeth had told Jonathan the truth about the coyote he used to run with in the Forbidden Forest at Hogwarts. Elizabeth had transformed into Coya and Jonathan had chased Elizabeth in coyote form around the gardens of Selwyn Manor.

This will be Elizabeth's second visit since the funeral.

One foot in front of the other and Elizabeth walks around the headstones and newly buried graves around her until she reaches two graves side by side.

The grave to her left says;

Jake Divicci Selwyn

19.February.1958 - 20.December.1975

Age 17

The original grave had said he was 14 when he had died. Elladora had renewed the headstone and they'd reburied him in a new coffin.

The grave to Elizabeth's right says;

Cassilda Elladora Selwyn

03.December.1961 - 25.July.1977

Age 15

Cassilda had lived longer than Jake had before he'd bled to death in the Parlour almost four years ago.

Elizabeth slowly kneels before both of the graves, two red thorned roses in her hand. She places a rose on each of the two graves.

"Everything is ok my end," she whispers to the two graves. "Me and Jonathan are helping each other. We've promised one another to still be there, always, at Hogwarts too... so it's- it's ok over here."

She paused for a moment. There wasn't anyone else in the graveyard, the sky is a pale blue with hues of pink, the air is cold and misty. It's barely six in the morning. But still, Elizabeth pauses and thinks of what Cassilda and Jake would both say to that.

"That's good," Jake would say. "You need to look after each other. It's war and we're Selwyn's. We're doomed without each other."

"That's not very optimistic, is it Jay?" Cassilda would reply with. "Don't listen to him, Beth. He's dead and gloomy. You should look after Jonathan because he's family and because you love him and he loves you. Our family is growing smaller and smaller by the year, soon you'll be stuck with our cousins."