61 | Cassilda's Fate

Cassilda's Fate

TW: Talk of suicide, child abuse and murder. (Nothing explicit.)

Saturday 23rd July, 1977

The entire day seemed like it would last a lifetime to Elizabeth. Everyone was angry, everyone was set on winning the war for the Dark Lord, and it truly seemed that that was the way things were headed now.

Elizabeth was grateful for training today, even if it meant making poisons that would be used to kill families. She was grateful for the break now. Although it was somewhat awkward, for some unknown reason, Severus Snape was stirring ingredients in a cauldron in the dungeons of Selwyn Manor.

Cassilda had suggested early on to avoid tension to do a competition. The first of the four to complete their potion or poison would win fifty galleons and the last to finish their potion would have to ask Elladora for advice on how to do better.

Cassilda was tasked with preparing the Drink of Gloom. A potion that causes fear, extreme thirst, intense pain and hallucinations of the drinker's worst fears. The effects are quick to wear away if the person drinks a glass of pure water, however most kill themselves whilst under the effects.

Jonathan had been tasked by Elladora to brew a phial of Fortuna Liquid. This, in Elizabeth's opinion, was the easiest of the four to brew. It's a potion that allows the drinker extreme luck in everything that they attempt and will always be successful whilst under the effects. It's dangerous to drink in large quantities as it can be fatal.

Severus had been asked to brew multiple phials of the Servus Velle potion. This temporarily enslaves the drinker to a person's will. The person who drinks the potion will have zero memory of what they were doing when under the potion but will be aware that time is missing. They'll obey any command, even killing or acting on their worst fears.

Finally, Elizabeth had been told to brew the Halitus Mortis potion. A potion that can be fatal when drinking and brewing. It allows the person who drinks the liquid to cause death by just exhaling their breath. Its only use can be to kill, any records of anyone making the potion have been sent to Azkaban for performing the Black Arts.

Elizabeth wanted to win the competition, but she did not want to die or to kill Cassilda or Jonathan whilst trying to get there. So she focused on brewing the potion accurately.

"So, Severus," Cassilda smiles as she slowly poured vinegar solution into her cauldron. "How is it that my mother asked for you to join us in training today?"

"Don't be rude, Cassy," Jonathan grumbles across from her.

"The Dark Lord said that I was useful and that I would be able to teach you all many things if you paid attention," Snape said sternly, glancing at Cassilda out of the corner of his eye.

Cassilda makes a face of amusement but continues stirring her potion.

"How is Rabastan?" Elizabeth asks lightly, slowly pouring the potion into her cauldron and stirring clockwise.

Cassilda smiles and answers without looking away from her potion. "Things are really good between us right now."

"I'm glad."

"Finally," Jonathan scoffs.

"How is your lover, Jon?" Cassilda asks somewhat bitterly.

"It's moving fast but it's a good thing and nothings gone wrong with us yet and I'm glad, I just hope that she'll be safe dating me as she's a Half-Blood Hufflepuff."

"There are so many people fighting on the opposite side of the war who can look after her if only you ask them to, and Zoe is a strong and capable young girl, she'll be safe, Jon," Elizabeth says gently.