Blackwater (4)

Arthur took the deer to Pearson and told him to grill it. He then walked over to me. "Feel like a ride?" He asked.

"How about a walk?" I said. "I've been riding all day and need to stretch my legs.

"Alright," Arthur and I walked out of camp away from the road and through the woods, to a small creek.

"I figured we should talk about the kiss," he said.

"I know. What I want to know is what it meant to you?" I asked.

"I should have opened my eyes years ago. I have been blind and stupid. That kiss meant a lot to me. It opened my eyes," he said. "It's been you all along. Lizzy my heart is yours."

I sat down Arthur sat beside me. "Arthur, I've been in love with you for years. I didn't know how to tell you," I said. "But I tried after Mary. I felt so stupid, I told you I loved you and you asked me what I said."

"I remember that," he said.

"Yeah it was obvious then at the time you didn't feel it so I changed it," I said.

"Lizzy why? You should have told me then," he said.

"Well like I said I changed it because maybe it wasn't the right time," I said. "You were hurting over her and to add to that would have been wrong of me."

Arthur pulled me onto his lap so I was straddling him. "Don't hide yourself or your feelings for me. I want to experience all your first with you, the first time we make love, the first date, the first marriage, the first child, everything. I ain't good with words, but I will try with you," he said and pulled me closer to him and one hand on the back of my neck and the other on my thigh. He kissed me.

I moaned into the kiss and he moved his hand up the outside of my thigh to my waist. He kissed down from my lips to my neck, he kissed me under my earlobe and sucked a bit into his mouth causing goosebumps to appear all over my body and made me moan louder.

"You like that?" He whispered in my ear and bit down lightly on my earlobe.

"Y..yes," I said reaching up I ran my hands under his shirt and kissed his neck like he kissed mine.

"You're playing with fire," he said.

"Maybe I want to get burned," I whispered in his ear before kissing him again and biting into his bottom lip.

He moaned and pulled me harder against him. "As much as your turning me on right now, this isn't where I want to make love to for the first time. I want to do this right Little Lizzy," he said. "I want to take you out on a date. A show, dinner, maybe some dancing."

"That actually sounds amazing Arthur," I said.

"Good, let's head back before I lose control," he said kissing me again.

I kissed him back and slowly stood up. I walked over to Apolo and climbed in the saddle. Arthur followed after a minute. We rode back to camp talking about old times.

When we rode back I saw John, "Belle," he said. "We need to talk."

I glanced back at Arthur and he nodded his head and winked at me. I hitched Apolo and walked over to John. "Are you alright?" He asked.

"I'm fine John," I said.

"What did that kiss mean?" He asked.

"John I love you, your my brother but somethings I will not talk to you about. Arthur is one of those things. If you must know he told me how he felt and I did the same. He is taking me out on a date," I said.

"You know I think you're to young," he said.

"John I'm 23 years old," I said. "I know what I want and he makes me happy."

"Then I will be happy for you but if he ever hurts you then I will kill him," John said.

"John he is your friend and like a brother to you. I've always liked Arthur," I told him.

"Alright," he said. "Go be with your man and promise me no kissing or whatever in front of me."

"I'll try," I said. John tossed my hair and kissed me on my forehead.  I laughed and stuck my tongue out at him running to Arthur.

Arthur caught me and lifted me effortlessly  over his shoulder and carried me over toward John. I laughed and this caused him to laugh. "I haven't heard him laugh in a long time," Hosea said.

"Me either," Dutch said. "I think she will be good for him."

John came over while I was on Arthur's shoulder and started tickling me. I couldn't help but laugh and wiggle but Arthur held me steady. "Put me down," I said.

Arthur put me down and I licked his face and took off running. The whole camp was now laughing at the two of us. "Why did you do that?" He asked.

"I licked it so it's mine!" I said.

He laughed so hard and took off running after me. He picked me up and spun me around. "You're crazy you know that right," he said.

"Maybe but you love it," I said.

"Yeah, I do," he said.

Micah look at us like we were crazy. "So your into darkies now?" He asked in his snide demeanor.

"Watch it Micah!" John said.

"What are you gonna do about John boy?" Micah asked.

"He ain't gonna do anything because if you say anything like that again I will break your neck," Arthur said taking a step toward Micah.

Dutch heard what Micah said. "Watch what you say about Belle Micah, I won't have that here," Dutch said. "Apologize now!"

"Sorry," Micah hung his head and walked away like a dog in a shame, with its tail between its legs.

Arthur turned toward me and wrapped his arms around me. "Don't let him get to you Lizzy," Arthur said. "He is jealous."

"No he isn't he is just an ass," I said. "I'm use to being looked down on Arthur. Until we met you all, that was my life even now in some places it still happens."

"It shouldn't be like that ever," he said.

"It shouldn't be but people believe what they hear," I said.

I kissed his cheek and walked to my tent. I sat down and sighed. I know Arthur has never thought of me as different. The world doesn't have his eyes or his heart. That's one thing he doesn't understand, sometimes words hurt and the more you hear them the more you believe them.

I laid down, this perfect day had to be ruined by Micah. I already hated that man. He had such a short fuse that could blow up at anytime. I would just watch myself around him. He already had John mad at him for the way he treated Abigail.

John didn't need another reason to hate the man.