Clemens Cove (11)

The last three months had been boring , bed rest was the worst. I went into labor in the middle of the night, Charles and Saddie were both there. I woke to a sharp pain and the bed soaked through.

I let out a scream when the pain it. "Belle," Saddie said.

"It's time," I said. "Send Charles for the doctor."

Saddie ran out and woke Charles up. Charles took off. "Hurry back," I said through clenched teeth.

Saddie grabbed a pot and filled it with water to boil. She grabbed some clean sheets and helped me to stand while she put clean sheets on the bed. I laid back down and Saddie went and grabbed some towels and set them beside the bed. She covered me up. "When the doctor gets here, I'll go send a telegram," she said.

I gripped the sheet under me as another contraction hit. When the doctor arrived it wasn't long before my son entered this world. He was so full of life making sure everyone heard his cries. "It's a boy!" The doctor said cleaning the baby. He wrapped the baby in a blanket and laid him down in the crib.

"Sir I'm gonna need your help," the doctor told Charles.

Charles stepped in and the doctor told Charles to hold me down. Charles gave me a look and grabbed my shoulders as the doctor reached inside to turn the baby. I let out a blood curling scream, it felt like someone was ripping out my insides. I blacked out because of the pain. When I came to, I was told to push.

A few minutes of pushing and the baby was out. She was stubborn, she didn't cry until the doctor slapped her but. He cut the umbilical cord and said,"It is a girl."

I looked over at my babies and cried. Charles laid the babies beside me. "You did a great job," Charles said.  "Have you got names picked out?"

"Yes Lincoln Charles Hosea for my son," I said,  "and Bethany Leigh for my daughter."

"Why Charles?" He asked.

"Arthur and I talked about it," I said. "You have been an important part of this journey and deserved to be honored. Just like Saddie. That's where the name Leigh comes from. It's her middle name."

"Thank you," he said.

The doctor weighed the babies, Linc weighed 5 pounds and 4 ounces, Bethany weighed 5 pounds and 7 ounces. "Ok I know you've been on bedrest the last three months but I need you to take it easy for a few weeks. You can get up and move around when you feel like it but do not over do it. You may think about staying close to the house in case you start feeling weak. I want you to come into the office in about two weeks for a checkup," he said.

"Yes sir," I said.

I knew Arthur wouldn't show until tomorrow at the earliest. I was tired but I felt the need to nurse the twins. Saddie came in and shooed the men away. "Come on now let them rest," Saddie said.

The doctor and Charles walked out and Saddie handed me the twins. I held them and breast fed them. Soon they were burped and asleep. I closed my eyes and fell asleep myself.

Saddie kept watch over us while we slept then she fell asleep herself. Charles was holding the twins when I woke up.  "They really are something," he said. "She looks like Arthur with your eyes. He looks like you."

"Maybe he will grow out of it," I said.

"No, it's a good thing," Charles said.

"Thanks Charles," I said.

"I mean it Belle," he said.

I looked down at my children and thought of a world that would be safe for them.