new beginnings (20 )

I fixed the kids a cake for their eighth birthday. I smiled and laughed, thinking about I wasn't much older than them when I first met their father. Lincoln acted just like his father and it was getting harder to keep him under control.

I heard from John that he and Abigail had bought a place near Blackwater. He invited me down so as a surprise for the kids I figured it would be a good time to go meet their cousin Jack. I packed a bag and Grandfather gave us a ride to the train station.

I bought our tickets to Blackwater and we hugged grandfather bye. "Take care of your momma," he told the kids.

"We will," Linc and Bethany said at the same time.

We boarded the train and found our sets. It took us through Annesburg, Saint Dennis, Rhodes, Valentine, and then to Blackwater. We stepped off the train after an eight hour ride and I spotted a face I haven't seen in years.

"Charles?" I asked.

"Belle," he said turning toward me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I've been helping John build his house. He said you were coming with the kids. He got busy with uncle and I told him I would come get you and the kids," he said.

I smiled and hugged him. "I've missed you," I said.

"I've missed you too," he said wrapping his arms around me.

"Kids come say hello to someone special," I said.

The kids came running. "Who are you mister?" Linc asked.

"I'm an old friend of your mothers and your fathers. I also know your grandfather Rains  Falls," Charles said. "I know your uncle John and aunt Abigail. I knew your grandfather Hosea."

"So you ain't gonna hurt our mom?" Bethany asked.

"No Bethany I would never hurt her. She is the best isn't she," Charles said leaning down to get to her size. It was sweet.

"You know my name?" She asked.

"Yeah, I was there when you two were born," Charles said.

They looked at me. "It's true, he was there when I had you both. He help the doctor and me out," I said.

"That's cool," Bethany said.

"Linc Charles taught me to shoot the bow and arrow," I said.

Linc's eyes got big. "Really?!" He asked.

"Yeah," Charles said laughing.

"Can you teach me?" Linc asked.

"If your mother says yes," Charles said.

"Come now let's go see your uncle," I said.

We grabbed our bags, Charles took mine from my hands and loaded it up on the back of the wagon. He picked the kids up and put them in the back and helped me into the front.

"You ready for this?" Charles asked.

"Yeah I haven't seen him in years. Since the day I was taken," I said.

"Yeah, that was one of the worst days of my life Belle," he said reaching over he grabbed my hand.

I squeezed his hand and he looked at me. "We need to talk," he said still holding my hand.

I hadn't been this flustered in years. Charles was here in the flesh. My heart pounded in my chest. I held his hand all the way to the ranch. I saw John and I leaped out of the wagon before Charles brought it to a stop. I ran to my brother and threw myself in his arms.

"Belle is good to see you!" He said.

"I've missed you John," I said. He swung me around.

Charles laughed as he helped the kids off the wagon. "You must have known all about my mom when she was young," Linc said.

"She is still young," Charles said.

"Yeah I guess," Linc said.

Abigail came out and hugged me. I hugged her back and saw Jack sitting by a tree reading. "Kids this is your uncle John, your aunt Abigail and that is your cousin Jack," I said.

Linc and Bethany asked if they could go play,"Go ahead but stay where I can see you," I said.

I spotted Uncle. "Wake up old man," I said kicking the bottom of his boots.

"Jesus woman," he jumped and said. "Belle!"

He got up and hugged me. "It's good to see you here," he said.

"Yeah it's good to be here," I said. "How did John find you all?"

"I found John in Blackwater saloon," he said. "Charles was fighting in Saint Dennis. Saddie has even been around."

"I hope she comes around while I'm here," I said.

"Momma, can we camp out like you and uncle John use to do?" Linc asked.

"Yeah, we can," I said.

"Yay," Linc and Bethany said.

Uncle laughed and we all sat around talking. Charles kept watching me. "Care for a walk?" He asked.

"I'd love one," I said.

"We will keep an eye on the kids," Abigail said.

Charles and I walked by the river. "I should have come for you before. I got into a bit of trouble and had to work off some debts. I started fighting and the money was good," he said.

"I understand Charles. At the time I don't think I was ready for more. I had to get to place where I could open up and talk to the kids about Arthur. I told them stories of how we met and how we fell for each other. Showed them some pictures of Arthur. Sorry I know it's not easy to hear," I said.

"No he was a big part of your life," he said. "The kids should know about their father. I'm glad they have you to tell them."

"I think I'm ready now, if that makes any difference," I said.

He stopped and pulled me toward him. "I want this. I want you," he said.

"Then kiss me," I said. He lowered his head and his lips met mine. I ran my fingers through his hair pulling him closer. He explored my mouth with his tongue.

I couldn't help but moan I to his mouth. He picked me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist. He backed me up against the nearest tree. "God I should have done this earlier," he said.  He kissed me again harder this time his hand squeezed my thigh and started rubbing circles on the inner part of my thigh.

It had been so long since a man touched me like this. Charles gripped me harder and push himself against my core. I moaned loudly. "Hmm," We heard. "The kids are getting sleepy and they want their bedtime story before they turn in." John said.

"That's fine," Charles said. "Can I?"

I nodded. "Arthur would be happy," John said. "He told me before he died he wanted you to be with Charles. He knew Charles had something for you even then. He wanted to make sure you were cared for."

"I hate that you caught us like that," I said I knew if it had been daylight I would have been red with embarrassment.

"Charles is a good man, Belle," John said.

"Yeah," I said.