Vince Champ

Vinson Horace Champ (bornSeptember 12, 1961) is a former American comedian and a convictedrapist. He was the winner of Star Search in 1992. In 1997, he wasidentified as a serial rapist when his DNA and tour schedule werematched up with a series of rapes on college campuses. He iscurrently serving a 30 to 40-year sentence at Nebraska StatePenitentiary. His projected release date is in 2033, after which hewill begin two consecutive life term sentences in Iowa.

Biography

Champ was born on September 12, 1961.He won $100,000 as a comedian on Star Search in 1992. After that,Champ mostly performed on the college circuit. He was known as anice, respectful comedian who only did 'clean' material, whichmade him a favorite for college bookers.

According to court documents, Champ'scriminal record includes physically attacking his 17-year-old formergirlfriend in 1996.

On May 6, 1997, Champ was spottedfleeing the scene of an attempted rape at Pasadena City College inPasadena, California. He was arrested on May 7, 1997, at hisapartment in Hollywood, California. The court released him on bailand he left for a trip to the Caribbean. When he returned on May 13,1997, he was arrested at Newark International Airport in Newark, NewJersey after detectives in Omaha, Nebraska connected him to a similarrape at the University of Nebraska. At the time of his arrest, one ofChamp's booking agents commented that Champ's schedule resembled "aroad map of where these rapes occurred".

Champ followed a consistent pattern inhis assaults. He sought out his victims inside college buildings.Each time, he covered the women's heads so they could not identifyhim, he talked to them during the assault, and he asked each of thewomen to pray for him afterward.

Rapes and attempted rapes linked toChamp

On September 6, 1996, he raped awoman at the University of Iowa in Iowa City. He was sentenced tolife in prison without parole on November 15, 2002.[

On February 6, 1997, Champ raped awoman at Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. He was sentenced to upto 40 years in prison in June 2000.

On February 9, 1997, Champ wassuspected of having attempted to rape a woman at Knox College inGalesburg, Illinois. No charges were brought against him.

On February 10, 1997, authoritiesbelieve Champ raped a woman who was practicing piano at CarthageCollege in Kenosha, Wisconsin. No charges were brought against him.

On February 16, 1997, Champ raped awoman at St. Ambrose College in Davenport, Iowa. Only 5 hours earlierthat day, an attempted assault took place at Augustana College inneighboring Rock Island, Illinois. Authorities suspected Champ, butno charges were brought against him.

On March 5, 1997, Champ raped awoman working alone in a computer lab at the University of Nebraska,Omaha, for which he received a 25 to 30-years prison sentence on July3, 2000. He appealed his conviction to the Nebraska Court of Appealsin 2001; the conviction was upheld.

On May 6, 1997, Champ attempted torape a woman at Pasadena City College in Pasadena, California. Hefled when the woman screamed, but two witnesses heard the woman'sscreams noted the license plate number of the car he fled with. Champwas arrested on May 7, 1997.