2022 University of Idaho Killings

In the early hours of November 13,2022, four University of Idaho students were fatally stabbed in theiroff-campus residence in Moscow, Idaho. On December 30, 28-year-oldBryan Christopher Kohberger was arrested in Monroe County,Pennsylvania, on four counts of murder in the first degree and felonyburglary.

Background

Several University of Idaho studentslived in a rented off-campus home in the rural college town ofMoscow, Idaho. The three-story home had six bedrooms; two on eachfloor.

There had not been a murder in the citysince 2015.

Events

In the early morning hours of November13, 2022, four University of Idaho college students were stabbed todeath in a shared rental home close to campus, in which three of themresided. The three female victims—Madison Mogen, KayleeGoncalves, and Xana Kernodle—lived at the house, whilethe fourth victim, Ethan Chapin, was Kernodle's boyfriend whowas sleeping over on the night of the attacks. Two other femaleroommates also lived at the house; they were not attacked.

Earlier on the evening of November 12,two of the four victims, Chapin and Kernodle, were at an on-campusparty at the nearby Sigma Chi fraternity from 8 pm to 9 pm. Theyreturned home at 1:45 am. That evening, the other two victims, bestfriends Mogen and Goncalves, had gone to The Corner Club, a downtownsports bar at 10 pm, from which they departed at 1:30 am. Alivestreamed video on Twitch by The Grub Truck, a food truck fourblocks south at Friendship Square (Main and Fourth Streets), showedMogen and Goncalves at 1:41 am, chatting and smiling, getting theirfood ten minutes later, and leaving to take what the police initiallysaid was an Uber ride home, a trip of about one mile (1.6 km). Thepolice later rephrased their statement to say the ride was providedby a "private party," arriving home at 1:56 am.

All four students were home by 1:56 am.Seven uncompleted phone calls were made from the phone of Goncalvesto her former longtime boyfriend, a fellow student, from 2:26 to 2:52am. Mogen also called the boyfriend three times with similar resultsfrom 2:44 to 2:52 am. These calls were investigated with the policeconcluding they did not believe he was involved in the crime.Kernodle received a DoorDash order around 4 am.

The two surviving roommates hadreturned home by 1 am, and original reports said they were in theirbeds on the ground floor of the home at the time of the killings.They were not attacked or held hostage, and original reports statedthat both surviving roommates did not awaken during the killings.However, the affidavit for the case said that one surviving roommatewas sleeping on the second floor, the same floor as Kernodle andChapin, before she was awoken by what sounded like Goncalves and herdog. She later heard a roommate saying something to the effect of"there's someone here." The roommate believed thiswas said by Goncalves, although investigators also believe this mighthave been Kernodle speaking, as a forensic download of her cellphoneshowed that she was on the app TikTok at 4:12 am. The survivingroommate opened her door twice within a short span of time, and thesecond time, heard what sounded like crying coming from Kernodle'sroom and a male voice saying "it's okay, I'm going to helpyou." Security cameras near the home picked up the sound ofwhimpering, a loud thud, and a dog barking numerous times startingaround 4:17 am. The surviving roommate opened her door a third time,and saw "a figure clad in black clothing and a mask thatcovered the person's mouth and nose walking towards her."The man, whom the roommate did not recognize, walked past her andused the sliding glass door to exit; it is unknown if the man sawher. The roommate stood in a "frozen shock phase"and then locked herself in her room.