Nuwaubian Nation

The Nuwaubian Nation, Nuwaubianmovement, or United Nuwaubian Nation (/nuːˈwɔːbiːən/)is an American new religious movement founded and led by Dwight York,also known as Malachi Z. York. York began founding several blackMuslim groups in New York in 1967. He changed his teachings and thenames of his groups many times, incorporating concepts from Judaism,Christianity, UFO religions, New Age, and many esoteric beliefs.

In the late 1980s, he abandoned theblack Muslim theology of his movement in favor of Kemetism and UFOreligion. In 1991, he took his community to settle in Upstate NewYork, then they moved near to Eatonton, the county seat of PutnamCounty in Georgia. His followers built an ancient Egypt-themedcompound called "Tama-Re" and changed their name tothe "United Nuwaubian Nation of Moors."

By 2000, the "United NuwaubianNation of Moors" had some 500 adherents. They drew thousandsof visitors for "Savior's Day" (York's birthday,June 26). Adherence declined steeply after York was convicted ofnumerous counts of child molestation, as well as racketeering andfinancial reporting violations, and sentenced to 135 years in federalprison in April 2004. The Tama-Re compound was sold under governmentforfeiture and demolished.  The Southern Poverty Law Centerdescribed York as a "black supremacist cult leader",and has designated the Nuwaubian Nation as a hate group.

The group has taken numerous namesthroughout its history, including "Ansaru Allah Community","Holy Tabernacle Ministries", "United Nuwaubian Nationof Moors" (after the move to Georgia), "YamasseeNative American Moors of the Creek Nation" (also used inGeorgia when York claimed indigenous ancestry via Egyptian migrationand intermarriage with the ancient Olmec), and "NuwaubianNation of Moors".

Founder

The Nuwaubian Nation was centeredexclusively on the person of its founder, Malachi (Dwight) York, wholegally changed his name several times, and has used dozens ofaliases.

York was born on June 26, 1935 (alsoreported as 1945). He began his ministry in the late 1960s, from 1967preaching to a group he called the Pan-African "Nubians"(viz. African Americans) in Brooklyn, New York City, New York.

York founded numerous esoteric orquasi-religious fraternal orders under various names during the 1970sand 1980s, at first along pseudo-Islamic lines, later moving to aloose Afrocentric ancient Egypt theme, eclectically mixing ideastaken from black nationalism, cryptozoology, and UFO religions andpopular conspiracy theories. During the 1980s, he was also active asa musician as Dr. York, recording for Passion Records.

York published some 450 booklets(dubbed "scrolls") under numerous pseudonyms. Duringthe late 1990s, he styled himself a messianic founder-prophet of hismovement, sometimes claiming divine status or extraterrestrialorigin, appearing on his Savior's Day celebrations at Tama-Re.

York was arrested in May 2002, and in2003 he pleaded guilty to child sexual abuse after being indicted on197 counts of child molestation, including charges of sex traffickingof minors across state lines. These minors were as young as 8 yearsold. He was imprisoned. In 2004, he was convicted to a 135-yearsentence for transporting minors across state lines in the course ofsexually molesting them, racketeering, and financial reportingcharges. His convictions were upheld on appeal. York's case wasreported as the largest prosecution for child molestation everdirected at a single person in the history of the United States, bothin terms of number of victims and number of incidents. The case wasdescribed in the book Ungodly: A True Story of Unprecedented Evil(2007) by Bill Osinski, a reporter who had covered the Nuwaubians inGeorgia during the late 1990s.