Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Insan

Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Insan(born 15 August 1967), known also as MSG, is the head of the Indiansocial group Dera Sacha Sauda (DSS) since 1990. Prior to a 2017 rapeconviction, he was a religious leader, actor, singer, writer,songwriter, director, and composer. He was also convicted of beinginvolved in the murder of journalist Ram Chander Chhatrapati.According to The Indian Express, a prisons department official saidBharatiya Janata Party-led Haryana government had started looking fora "suitable job" for Ram Rahim two years ago before the2017 rape conviction.

The Indian Express had placed Ram Rahim96th in their list of the 100 most powerful Indians of 2015. He hasreleased several music albums and films, which typically revolvearound himself and his teachings. He is usually credited in his filmsfor various other roles, in one instance being credited in more thanforty departments. His films were negatively received by critics,with many considering them propaganda and criticizing their poorquality, although the production house claimed that several of themhad grossed ₹1 billion.

On 25 August 2017, Ram Rahim wasconvicted of rape by a special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)court. His conviction led to widespread violence from members of theDSS and simultaneous clashes with the police, which left several deadand injured. On 28 August 2017, Ram Rahim was sentenced to 20 yearsin prison. In January 2019, he and three others were convicted of themurder of journalist Ram Chander Chhatrapati and sentenced to lifeimprisonment. He is also facing prosecution for other murders andordering forced castrations.

The name MSG is thought to be derivedeither from the initials of the three DSS heads, Shah Mastana, ShahSatnam, and Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, or as an abbreviation for"Messenger of God".

Early life and family

Singh was born on 15 August 1967 at SriGurusar Modia village in Ganganagar district of Rajasthan. Born intoa Jatt Sikh family, his father Maghar Singh was a landlord, and hismother Naseeb Kaur was a housewife. Maghar was a devoted follower ofthe DSS leader Shah Satnam Singh, and Gurmeet accompanied his fatherto the dera. At the age of 7, Singh was initiated into the Dera SachaSauda sect by Shah Satnam Singh.

As an adult, Singh did many jobs,including driving a tractor, and assisted his father in volunteerwork at the dera and he retired and started a potato farm for 4years. When Shah Satnam Singh announced his retirement in 1990, Singhwas not one among the three contenders expected to succeed him. In asurprise public announcement, however, Satnam Shah appointed him ashis successor, giving him the name "Huzoor Maharaj GurmeetRam Rahim". Ram Rahim became the leader of Dera at the ageof 23, on 23 September 1990.

Ram Rahim and his wife Harjeet Kaurhave two daughters, named Amarpreet and Charanpreet. They also have ason, Jasmeet, who is married to Husanmeet, a daughter of the IndianNational Congress leader Harminder Singh Jassi. Ram Rahim alsoadopted his confidante Priyanka Taneja as his daughter, giving herthe name Honeypreet in 2009. Ram Rahim's followers have adopted"Insan" ("human") as a surname.

Social work

The Dera runs 1 hospital and 10educational institutes. Ram Rahim has organized drives for bloodpressure, diabetes and cholesterol screening that have beenrecognized by Guinness World Records. He also hold the world recordfor most people sanitizing their hands simultaneously also recognizedby Guinness World Records. In association with the American Societyof Echocardiography, he also organised the world record for "MostCardiac Echo Tests" although it was proved as a 'scam'on 2 January 2022. On 21 September 2011 in New Delhi, Ram Rahiminitiated a series of sanitation drives and also pledged his supportto the Central Government's campaign. As of 2016, about 30 MegaCleanliness Campaigns have been conducted in several states of India.A CBI report investigating criminal allegations against him mentionedthat Ram Rahim's "crusades against drugs, alcohol, andprostitution" have gained him a "larger-than-life"image. He has also spoken out against cattle slaughter in India.