Danny Greene

Daniel John Patrick Greene(November 14, 1933 – October 6, 1977) was an Irish-American mobsterand associate of the Cleveland mobster John Nardi during the 1970sgang war for the city's criminal operations. Competing gangsters setoff more than 36 bombs, most attached to cars, in murder attempts,many successful. Greene had gained power first in a local chapter ofthe International Longshoremen's Association, where he was electedpresident in the early 1960s. He pushed into Cleveland rackets andbegan competing with the Italian-American Mafia for control of thecity. He set up his own group called the Celtic Club, complete withenforcers.

Early life and education

Daniel John Patrick "Danny"Greene was born November 14, 1933, in Cleveland, Ohio, to John HenryGreene and Irene Cecelia Greene (née Fallon). His father was alsoborn in Cleveland, but his mother was born in Pennsylvania.

Three days after his birth, Greene'smother died. He was called "Baby Greene" until hismother was buried, after which he was eventually named after hisgrandfather (Daniel John Greene). Danny's father drank heavily andeventually lost his job as a salesman for Fuller Brush. After this,Danny temporarily moved in with his grandfather (a newspaperprinter), who had also been recently widowed. Unable to provide forDanny, his father placed him in Parmadale, a Roman Catholic orphanagein Parma, Ohio, three miles outside Cleveland.

In 1939, Danny's father began dating anurse. He married her, and they started their own family and broughtDanny to live with them.

At age 6, Danny resented his stepmotherand ran away on several occasions. His paternal grandfather took himin, and Danny lived with him and an aunt for the rest of hischildhood in the Collinwood neighborhood. Taking advantage of thefact that his grandfather worked nights, Danny roamed the streets atnight. When Danny's father died in 1959, the newspaper obituarylisted his children from his second marriage but did not mentionDanny.

Danny attended St. Jerome CatholicSchool, where he developed a great fondness for the nuns and priests,developed a lasting friendship with some of his teachers, and servedas an altar boy. He was athletic, excelled at baseball, and was anall-star basketball player. Although Danny was a poor student, thenuns at St. Jerome let him play sports because he was valuable to theteam.

Danny attended St. Ignatius HighSchool. There he frequently fought with Italian-American students,children of more recent immigrants struggling for a place, and hedeveloped an intense dislike for Italians that lasted his entirelife.

After being expelled from SaintIgnatius, he transferred to Collinwood High School, where he excelledin athletics. He was also a Boy Scout for a short time, before beingkicked out of his troop. He was also expelled from Collinwood HighSchool, in that case, due to excessive tardiness, which he claimedwas caused by the bullying of fellow students.

Military service

After being expelled from CollinwoodHigh School in 1951, Greene enlisted in the United States MarineCorps, where he was soon noticed for his abilities as a boxer andmarksman. He was stationed for a time at Marine Corps Base CampLejeune, Jacksonville, North Carolina and was transferred many times,possibly because of behavioral issues. Promoted to the rank ofcorporal in 1953, Greene taught new junior Marines how to beartillerymen. He was honorably discharged later that year.