Volume 1 - 1 - A Sudden Storm

1 August 2022, ~8:00 PM,
Novinae
Aries

The night sky was beautiful, with stars twinkling in and about with some occasional lights coming for passenger planes coming in and out of the nation. Coupled with cold winds blowing into the coast, it was a calming and relaxing view.

This is the Kingdom of Novinae, a tiny island nation filled with strange Novinae people, humans with sheep characteristics. The nation has remained in peace for over 12 centuries - with the exception of the Second Great War where one of its harbours was bombed by an enemy nation.

The reason for its long peace lies in the nature of the Hovinaes themselves; they always work together and seek peace over anything. The malevolent tendencies within them was almost non-existent.

And thus, it lead to today, a calm and peaceful Novinae, with most of its exports being crude oil due to large oil reserves located west of the isles, leading to an economic boom back when it was discovered in 1970s.

In it's capital city, Aries, the skyline is dotted by few small skyscrapers, mainly concentrated in the centre of the city - resembling a view quite similar to the Nordic cities.

In one Hovinae household, the family, consisting of a father, mother and their only daughter, just finished eating dinner. As the Hovinaes are closely related to their ovine kind, their diet mainly consists of vegetarian ingredients.

The father and mother was in the kitchen, with the mother washing the dishes and the father wiping stains off the dinner table.

On a kitchen counter, a small radio was placed. The volume was loud enough for the two to listen while doing their work.

The radio station they're listening to was just getting to their news segment after playing a pop song.

"Hello everyone and welcome to RadioNovi's After Dusk News. Lets get straight into it. So, these are the recent news that's been circling around.

Just on 7 PM today, the Republic of Myrkia was reportedly had its eastern cities amd capital receiving missile attacks by its neighbouring nation, the Kyrinelian Federation. The latter had it's president broadcasted just 20 minutes before the invasion that they'll be conducting a "special operation" to eliminate the "corrupt" politicians in Myrkia and also "freeing" its people.

The United Nations is currently holding a meeting on the actions to be taken upon the Kyrinelian Federation with several nations had plans on placing sanctions on Kyrinel. Some companies had also shut down and pulled out its assets in response to these surprise attacks."

The father listening to the radio sighed, "War... Why do we bother starting wars in the first place? It's just a waste of lives and money in the end."

"I'm not sure, honey. You should ask that to the people causing them," the mother replied.

Both went on with their cleaning duty until it was finished. They went over to the living room and sat on the couch - with the mother leaning over to his husband, feeling cozy.

The husband turned on the television and switched over to the channel where it was airing a comedy show.

They had their fair share of laughs watching it, until they heard some raindrops hitting the roof of the house.

"Weird, I thought it was supposed to be clear tonight," the mother said as she had checked the weather earlier on her phone which showed it to be slightly cloudy for the night.

"Well, I guess that's the negatives of living in the middle of the ocean; the weather just changes however it likes," the father replied with a joke.

However, the rain intensified even more as more raindrops started falling and hitting the roof of the house. Lightnings then streaked across the skies, causing thunders loud enough to wake up their daughter who was sleeping in her bedroom.