7 - Dawn of Conflict

29 August 2022 (Y1578), 10:00 AM
5 kilometers west of the Atria, Gloriane
Holy Subjugation Armies Camp

Sounds of wooden swords clashing with one another, horses galloping, wyverns screech and arrows hitting their target boards, these were the sounds that was heard in the camp.

This is the Gloriane army that would conquer Atria.

Everyone within this camp had high hopes that they were going to be the victors in this war - unless the Atrians did something unexpected.

In preparation for this crusade, the Gloriane had come to an empire in the Third World for help. Surprisingly, the empire accepted and gave them access to some Napoleon-era cannons and arquebuses. These weapons could make the war easier for them as they were powerful ranged weapons, capable of taking out the enemies without having to resort on deadly melee combat.

Located on top of a small hill are the camps of the officers commanding this massive army. Most of the officers commanding the army weren't of Gloriane origin - they originated from the vassal states that the Gloriane previously conquered.

In fact, almost half of the ~70,000 army are from the vassal states - 30,000 to be exact. The officers from the vassal states however would need to obey their Glorianean counterparts.

Overlooking this incredible sight was General Elias Igor who commands around 5,000 of the Glorianean troops. He observes the numerous trainings conducted by his fellow men. This war is important to them as it would set them up to become a local major power. Perhaps they could become a superpower, though that's probably too ambitious at the moment.

Sipping water from his flask, Elias thought to himself that no matter what happens, the theocracy would win.

However, the gut feeling of his felt that this would be proven false. He recently heard of a new nation that has allied itself with the Atrians, which were called Novinae. He didn't thought much of it, but this gut feeling of his is telling him that the entrance of the Novinaes would affect the war as a whole.

His worries were brushed off as he heard a familiar voice from behind.

"Hey, Elias. How ya doin'?"

He responded, "Doing fine, just admiring the view. How about you, General Karlem?"

The man, now known as General Karlem, then responded, "Admiring the view, eh... Well, I'm doin' fine, thanks for asking. But still, to think that we would be finally unifying this subcontinent... This excites me... Who knows how juicy the women are in Atria. I bet they've been fed well."

Karlem has always been a pretty weird - and terrible - person. He is infamous for leading a Gloriane division on conquering an enemy kingdom during the Crusades, however, the actions he did on the citizens of the kingdom were horrific. As the enemy kingdom consisted of demihumans being the majority, he ordered his men to have "fun" with the local populace and have their way on the demihumans. Many citizens suffered and were killed by his actions through disgusting ways. His actions however were glorified by the theocracy, especially within the army. Some who saw it as disgusting and are against it didn't speak against it due to fear of being executed.

"I-I see...", it was the only thing that could be said by Elias. He is against the atrocities commited by Karlem but had no other choice but to stay silent.

Karlem were also given the same troops as he did before to invade the Atria. His men would be the first to attack by capturing the Atrian village of Lirinel, the closest village to them.

"I also heard of these Novinaes that just allied themselves with the Atrians...", said Elias.

"Bah, those Novinaes? Didn't you know that they're a bunch of sheep-people? They would do nothing against the superior army of ours. But then again," Karlem licks his lips, "They might be worth it too."