[2] 14 - Cousins of the Past

21 Sirbemia 1578 (21 Sept. 2022),
5:50 AM
Aviralia, Avinae

Murmurs of the crowd -- sheep ears and tails on their body -- steadily grew as their eyes were laid upon a strange sight. It wasn't a sea monster nor a mighty dragon, no. Instead, something they expected the least showed up on their waters.

Near the small harbour, confined within a bay, three grey warships and one white, sleek-looking vessel. Out of those ships, smaller but faster boats departed from them, carrying a few people onboard.

The boats then docked at the wooden, creaky piers of the harbour. The first ones to come out of it were what looked to be guards, carrying with them black staves. They helped getting the remaining people up the pier, wearing a different outfit.

Black garments and one wearing white dresses, the cost to make such clothing must be high, the Avis thought.

The group walked off the pier and onto the cobblestone roads. It was there that they were confronted by four Royal Guards of Avinae, bringing with them an aura of authority.

Wielding steel staves and chainmail armour, they were the finest unit of the Avinic Royal Army. The two sides discussed something before the Royal Guards led the group deeper into the capital.

Some onlookers followed their jouney while the rest went back to their homes as they had other needs to fulfill. But for everyone who saw these new people, they know one thing for sure;

They were the same kind as them, yet somehow different.

---

Princess Neofia and the rest of the delegates were amazed at the sight of historical buildings down the road. To the Novies, it was as if they were walking through a living museum. Civilians wearing traditional naeril clothing was a common sight, shopkeepers were yelling to advertise their products -- though they became quiet once they saw the delegation.

"Your nation sounds just like us and yet... I personally have never heard of it," an Avi guard said.

Neofia responded, "Same goes for us. From our perspective, your nation is like ours but in the past. Ten centuries ago to be exact."

"Ten centuries?!-- Ahem, apologies but ten centuries? That means your nation is a thousand more advanced than ours. To give an example, I have never seen that kind of bracelet you're wearing."

The guard mentioned the presence of Neofia's watch, to which she replied, "Oh, this? This is what we call a smartwatch. They're like watches on your hands, but this one has more things in it."

She showed the various features the watch had, such as starting a timer, checking your heartbeat, even oxygen levels. The guard didn't know what else to say, this wasn't merely advanced, this is akin to magic.

Leading to him asking Neofia, "This... watch, is this magic?"

"To be exact, no. It is completely magicless and is powered by the battery in the watch."

"Magicless? Does your nation know how to remove magic from your tools?"

Neofia explained, "No, not quite. Our nation has no knowledge of magic whatsoever. It was only when we... got here, that we began our research on it."

"I see... Oh, and there's the palace, right in front of us."

Neofia turned her head from the guard to the palace. The delegation were even more amazed by what was in front of them.

In the centre of the large empty plaza, a large structure was built, made out of mostly wood and some stone. With multiple tall roofs, it's architecture was similar to the Old Palace of Aries back in Novinae, now being turned into a museum.