Five

The next day, you go to the 4th of July parade with the losers club, and everyone except Stan and Richie is already there.

Richie was harassing a trumpet player by stealing and playing with his instrument.

And for Stan, you didn't know, you were confused because he was perfectly fine yesterday and he is almost never late. Did he not come because of what happened yesterday? Did he not like the kiss? Is he uninterested in me? You thought as you began to feel sad.

You frown and look at the ground, you had dressed up for him and you were really looking forward to seeing him after what happened yesterday, but you're not so sure that you even wanna see him now.

When you hear Stanley's voice and hear him say, "hey guys, sorry I'm late, my dad wanted me to practice reading the Torah before I came," you instantly start to smile.

You turn around with a smile on your face and see Stanley approaching you with a goofy smile that gives you butterflies.

Richie appears out of nowhere with two ice creams in his hands, he stands next to Eddie, and hands him one.

You smile as you notice Eddie blushing and smile at his gesture.

Bill examines a missing poster of Edward Corcoran that is hung on the wall in the alley you're in.

Stanley notices him staring at it. "They say they found a chewed up part of his hand near the standpipe," Stan explained.

Ben looks down at the ground, "he asked to borrow a pencil once," he laments.

Bill approaches and flips the poster over to the other paper beneath it, which was a missing flyer of Betty Ripsom.

When you see her picture, you frown and look down because it reminds you of all the times you spent together.

When Stanley starts rubbing your shoulder after putting his arm around you in a comforting manner, you flush and smile.

"It's like she's been f-forgotten because Corcoran's missing" bill states while stuttering.

"Is it ever gonna end?" You muttered while staring at the floor.

Everyone stays silent and looks at the concrete ground sadly.

"I actually think it will end, for a little while, at least," Ben says ending the silence and making everyone look at him.

Bev furrows her eye brows "what do you mean?" She asked curiously.

"So I was going over all my derry research and I charted out all the big events. The ironworks explosion in 1908, the Bradley gang in 35, and the black spot in 62. And now kids being..." He spoke while enumerating the dates, he counted with his fingers, then he pauses to gaze at everyone.

"I realized this stuff seems to happen..." he continues.

Bill appears to understand what he is saying because they speak at the same time "every 27 years," they say together.

You guys realized you needed to talk about what have been happening recently, so you decided to sit near the statue and discuss what's been going on.

"Okay, so, let me get this straight. It comes out from wherever to eat kids for, like, a year? And the what? It just goes into hibernation?" Eddie ask rambling like always.

"Maybe it's like...what do you call it?" Stanley begins to have difficulty naming what he is trying to say.

"Cicadas?" You asked, knowing that he once read a book about them.