023

Eddie made the new guitarist down three shots of tequila, one after the other, in the back alley

       Eddie made the new guitarist down three shots of tequila, one after the other, in the back alley. Each bandmate held a glass out, hooting and hollering as he threw them back. The kid's real name was Mark, but his parents (British, apparently) gave him the middle name Vivian, so he went by Viv.

He got on well with Jeff. However, Gareth and Eddie, those grumpy bastards, would give him a hard time for at least another couple of months. They still hadn't decided whether they would invite him in as a permanent member.

It was hard to want to bring a fourth in when the three males had been Corroded Coffin together since middle school. Eddie's best memories from age thirteen and up all included Gareth and Jeff. They had been three peas in a pod, learning their instruments together and writing shitty songs. Outside of the band, they did shit normal kids do. Gareth invited Eddie around a lot once he noticed everything going on with his dad.

The boys were both younger than Eddie; Jeff by a year and Gareth by two. This left the metalhead to face high school alone for a while; hence why his freshman and sophomore years were hell. That was one of his lowest points, having just lost his mom and adjusting to living with Wayne. He was still trying to discover himself and his style. It didn't help that the popular kids picked on him right away.

While Jason Carver was in Jeff's class and wouldn't be around to bully him for some years, there's always preppy, jock assholes who love to make fun of the "weirdos". When the three were finally all at Hawkins High together, Eddie was thankful. He doesn't think he could've made it without his friends. His sanctuary was the Emerson's garage, where the band was formed and they still practice to this day.

Eddie thought about all this as he spaced out, leaning against the brick wall with a cigarette. Gareth sent Viv inside to start reeling in the amp cords as the next component of his hazing. The three original mates stood in the November air together.

"I think that was our best one yet, fellas," Gareth proclaimed. The freckled boy sipped on a beer Eddie had smuggled him since he's only seventeen and can't get a drink at the bar.

"Totally," Jeff agreed. "The set is getting close. I think we should try that Van Halen song next time."

"Hey, you know me. I want to do it. But it's not my choice." Gareth looked at Eddie when he spoke. Their fearless leader was deep in thought, brow creasing with a deep line. He snapped back in at the feeling of eyes on him.

"Sorry, what?"

"We're talking about adding that new cover to the set. That's up to you though, O' Wise One," the drummer bowed jokingly.

       Eddie hummed and ripped his Camel. He washed the smoke down with a mouthful of PBR. Somehow the loud, talkative guitarist was quieted. It was the comedown of the performing rush, body slowing after go go go on stage. The draining of adrenaline left him feeling lethargic. His mind filled with you.