025

"What about this one?"

Steve holds a green sweater with hand-knit snowflakes, eyebrows raised to anticipate your evaluation of its ugliness. You were in the men's section of J.C. Penney trying to find things to wear to the boy's Christmas party next weekend. A slew of hangers curled around your fingers, holding onto the ones that Steve said were a "maybe".

The real reason you went to the mall was that Dustin approached you for help. Mike, Lucas, and he wanted to get a Christmas present for Eddie. Seeing the look on their faces when they talked about getting him a gift for being the greatest dungeon master and friend, you didn't have to think for a second.

The three dorks were running around from store to store in an attempt to find the third-time senior a perfect gift. You had given them a little bit of money to add to their collection because you wanted to allow them to get Eddie something good. That's how you and Steve ended up solo on the hunt for ugly sweaters.

The elder male settled on a black knit complete with designs of reindeer and spruce trees stitched in. When you did finally decide on one for yourself, cherry red with snowflakes, Steve insisted that he pay for it. You tried to argue before giving in because you were running low on money and the Harringtons are loaded.

Dustin, Mike, and Lucas proudly showed you what they had picked out for the Munson boy. You were elated by their choice; they knew him well and you couldn't wait to see Eddie's reaction. You were also in the process of getting something together for him for Christmas. He deserves to be spoiled, and you wanted to do the best you could to achieve that.

After dropping the freshmen off at Mike's, Steve took you home. He conversed with you about the progress on Eddie, offering advice that sometimes you need to spoon-feed to guys that you like them. This was something that crossed your mind before, but you would exhaust every other option before flat-out confessing to him.

The maroon BMW rolled to a stop at the edge of your driveway. Fresh snow blanketed a thin layer across the grass and asphalt, brightening the world with a white glow. Your mother was at the diner picking up extra weekend hours for the holiday season. Occupying her spot in the driveway was the brown van, fumes unfurling from the exhaust pipe.

Eddie was propped up against the vehicle's side door lighting a cigarette with his hand cupped around it. The falling snowflakes caught in his chocolate curls, dotting pearls amongst the frizzy strands. One of Wayne's old sherpa-lined leather bomber jackets hugged his upper body to keep him warm. He looked like an angel standing there with his rosy cheeks.

"Speak of the devil," Steve chuckled.

You rolled your eyes and scoffed a laugh while grabbing your bags. "Seeing you two interact next weekend is going to be the best Christmas gift I ever receive."

       Together you laughed at the thought before saying goodbye. Eddie eyed you down, dragging his cigarette in hopes the inhale would push down the hot feeling in his chest. He couldn't take his gaze off you, and yet hated to see you in that car smiling with Steve Harrington.