one ─ 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗋𝖾𝖺𝗅𝗆'𝗌 𝗃𝖾𝗐𝖾𝗅

001.
𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗋𝖾𝖺𝗅𝗆'𝗌 𝗃𝖾𝗐𝖾𝗅

Rhaenyra was happy she birthed a girl in her second pregnancy. And just like Jacaerys— she lacked the silver hair of the Targaryens and was born with brown hair– almost black but with the purple eyes of the Targaryens. It did not matter much though. She looked nothing like her named father Ser Laenor.

Rhaenyra knew the risks when she took them. She supposed she thought it would be like Alicent and her father. But does it truly matter who fathered her child? Her children are of her blood, Targaryen blood. Whose father they have is of no consequence. They had her blood. That was all that mattered.

"I want to play with a sword just like Jace mother!" Lucenys exclaimed as she watched in jealousy at her older brother and two uncles practicing in the training yard.

Rhaenyra smiled amused. "Do you now?"

"Yes!" Luce hissed. "It is not fair that I have to be inside and do boring things while Jace gets to have all the fun with uncle Aegon and uncle Aemond!"

"But you are a princess Luce. Princesses don't play with swords."

Lucenys rolled her eyes. "I don't want to be a princess then," her eyes lit up. "Why can't I be like Visenya? She was a woman and sister wife to Aegon the Conqueror. She wielded a sword better than him and she is called the Warrior Queen!"

Rhaenyra smiled sadly at her daughter. She brushed away a few of her dark locks. "Because this is the order of things Luce. The men in the realm would not like to see a woman do a man's job."

"But when you are Queen you can change that right?"

Rhaenyra smiled as she continued to watch her son train. "Perhaps. If the Gods wills it."

It was clear to everyone that Lucenys Velaryon— while lacking the Valyrian features, would grow up to be a beauty. At only eight namedays, she was a sight to behold. She had long dark hair almost like a dark midnight. It went stunningly well with her pale complexion. It was her purple eyes however that made any man or woman get lost in them. It was like she would capture their gazes and never let them go.

Being a bastard was worse for Jace though it seemed. She was lucky to be a female bastard. For even high ladies and lords alike would respect a bastard if you were beautiful.

Use your beauty as a weapon child, the Queen once whispered to her. It may be the only thing that protects you in the future.

She did not understand her words and asked her mother but she only went still. Her mother told her to not listen to the Queen any longer and to continue living as what she was— a child, and to not worry about anything that vile woman told her.

She forgot about the Queen's words soon enough when she saw her dragon Arrax. She would always brighten as a sun whenever she met him in the Dragonpit. It was the only time she was allowed to accompany her uncles and brother during the day. Her uncle Aegon had his dragon Sunfyre and Jace had Vermax. The only one who lacked a dragon was Aemond.

Aemond had always been a wonder to her. While Aegon was loud, and brash, and never seemed to care about his duties, Aemond was the exact opposite. He took his duties seriously, his High Velyrion better than hers, Aegon and Jace combined. They never much spoke to each other but she often would notice his eyes tear up whenever Aegon or Jace would flaunt their dragons to him.

It made Luce want to ask him to share Arrax with her. Arrax was a good boy and would do whatever she told him to. She had good control over him. And while both of them were particular children, they respected each other.

After Jace had his moment with Vermax the two boys had something planned it seemed. Luce could always notice.

"Aemond, we have a surprise for you," Aegon piped up as he laid a hand on Aemond's shoulder. He walked him to the open gate while Jace had run off in the same direction.

"What is it?" Aemond asked in a sullen voice.

"You're the only one of us without a dragon," Aegon began. Luce could see the small grin on his face. What was happening?

"Indeed."

"And we felt badly about it. So we found one for you," Aegon finished as they stopped before the open gate.

"A dragon? How," Aemond asked uninterested, yet Luce could see the small light in his eyes. Hope.

"The gods provide," Aegon replied.

Luce heard small grunts and before she could see anything else, she saw a pig with fake wings and horns on its body.

"Behold! The Pink Dread!"

Luce watched in anger and sadness at the scene in front of her. Gods, her brother, and uncle could be so stupid at times! Had they no regard for Aemond's feelings?

"Be sure to mount her carefully. The first flight's always rough," He said as he made small pig grunts and laughed while he and Jace walked away.

Aemond stood still and watched the pig. Luce walked up to him and tried to speak.

"Did you know?"

Luce shook her head. "No, I didn't. I swear. I would have told you had I known,"

Aemond did not answer but she could see a tear fall down his cheek. Luce stood on her toes in front of him and wiped them off. The faint blush on his cheeks went unnoticed by her.

She held his hand and dragged him away from the pig. "Come uncle,"

"Where are we going?" Aemond asked tiredly. All he wished, for now, was to leave to his chambers and never get out.

Luce grinned at her uncle. "You are going to meet Arrax, my dragon. His scales are very hot!"

Aemond's eyes widened. No one had actually offered to let him meet their dragons personally let alone touch one.

Arrax was brought forward to the pair as Luce had requested his presence.

Arrax was small but would grow to be large one day. Perhaps not as large as one would've hoped, but the small dragon would still have the same effect.

Lucenys grabbed Aemond's hand gently and brought it to Arrax's head.

Aemond let out a small gasp. "His scales are hot,"

Lucenys giggled. "Yes. I told you so uncle!"

Aemond did not answer and continued to stroke the dragon. He wished to cherish the moment and while it was not his own dragon, this might be the last time he would ever touch one.

Aemond turned to look at Lucenys who had a large smile on her pudgy face.

Aemond smiled."Thank you Luce. For showing me,"

"You're welcome uncle," answered Lucenys back with a laugh, as if she hadn't done Aemond his one wish he had ever wanted.