thirteen ─ 𝗉𝖾𝖺𝖼𝖾 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗍𝗋𝖺𝗂𝗍𝗈𝗋𝗌

013.
𝗉𝖾𝖺𝖼𝖾 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗍𝗋𝖺𝗂𝗍𝗈𝗋𝗌

As Rhaenyra and Aegon stood side by side in the small council, the most important figures filled the room. The tension was palpable as they awaited Queen Rhaenyra's next move.

Lord Corlys spoke up first. "Your Grace, we stand with you in this hour of need. The traitors who sought to usurp your throne must face punishment for their crimes."

The Dowager Queen looked uneasy at the mention of punishment, remembering her father was in chains inside the dungeons. "Your Grace, is it truly necessary to execute them? Can we not show mercy?"

Rhaenyra turned to Alicent with a hard expression. "Mercy was not shown to my daughter, Princess Lucenys when she was thrown off her dragon and lost her memory. Mercy was not shown to her dragon Arrax when he was slain. Why should I show mercy to those who would try to steal my throne? No. Otto Hightower will die."

"And what of Larys Strong?" Jace spoke up, walking closer to his mother and placing a hand on her arm. "Shall he meet the same face as Otto Hightower?"

Aegon's eyes met with Rhaenyra's. "It has already been decided between me and the queen. The death of the traitors will take place."

A scoff was heard from another inside the room, and all eyes turned to the voice. Aemond stood feet away from the council. "The death of the traitors? Have you not forgotten it was you who usurped the throne?"

Aemond did not care for his half-sister. Yet here Aegon stands, facing no punishment while their grandsire faced death? It made him furious. Aegon didn't deserve to be king, he didn't know how to do anything besides drinking and fucking whores.

Aegon took a step towards him, eyes narrowing. "Careful. I may be your brother but I am your king."

Aemond held his gaze before the sound of their sister broke it.

"Enough. I did not come here to argue. Otto Hightower and Larys Strong will face death. As for the rest of you," her eyes turned to the other men who had aided Otto with usurping her throne. "You all will be relinquished your positions in the small council and will be replaced with more trustworthy and loyal men."

Rhaenyra had already known who will be her maester at ships. "Lord Corlys Velaryon will be the maester of ships as of this day," Corlys sent her a nod of gratitude. Her eyes turned to Maester Orwyle. "My maester from Dragonstone, Maester Gerardys shall be grand maester in your stead."

She shared gazes with Aegon.

As the council discussed the fate of the traitors, Rhaenyra's sadness worsened. She had loved Daemon, but he had sent assassins to kill Aegon's children.

She had no choice.

Daemon did what he thought was right. He sought to avenge their daughter. But he had murdered two children. He may not lose his head, but he will face punishment.

Aegon's voice was tight as he spoke, "Prince Daemon will face exile for five years in Essos. He shall leave Westeros never be seen until he has seen his punishment fulfilled. His actions in sending assassins to kill Prince Jaehaerys and Princess Jaehaera, my children, cannot be ignored. Though he will not face death, I must take this action to ensure the safety of my family and avenge my children."