nine ─ 𝖻𝗅𝖺𝖼𝗄 𝗏𝗂𝖼𝗍𝗈𝗋𝗒

009.
𝖻𝗅𝖺𝖼𝗄 𝗏𝗂𝖼𝗍𝗈𝗋𝗒

"Those fucking Baratheons!" His grandsire shouted, eyes turning red. "Borros Baratheon has pledged for Rhaenyra!"

Aegon snorts, taking a swing from his goblet. "Why is that not a surprise? Did Aemond not tell you that Lucenys had offered Joffrey to one of his daughters?"

At least he wouldn't have to marry one of the Baratheon girls, especially that fucking Floris.

Aegon looked at his grandsire cruelly. "And have you forgotten that you are no longer my hand? That privilege goes to Ser Criston."

"Ser Criston is a kingsguard not qualified to be a hand to the king—"

"Well, I chose him so you might as well leave now grandsire, as I have no need of you any longer."

Aemond rolled his eyes at his brother. That would certainly not calm his grandsire down.

An argument began to form inside the small council, and Aemond made sure to study his brother while doing so. Aegon was beginning to lose his patience as he was rubbing his head.

As the argument began to grow too tiring, Aegon deemed it enough.

"Shut the fuck up!" He snapped. "Out! All of you!"

The small council member began to leave, afraid of angering the king. Aemond noticed his grandsire looking at Aegon with bitterness, but chose to ignore it. What did his grandsire expect when placing the crown on his eldest grandsons head?

As all the people walked away, it was only him and Aegon left.

Aegon filled his cup to the brim. "I hate this."

Aemond didn't react. "What did you expect? This is war."

His brother didn't answer him. For the first time Aemond could've sworn he saw tears forming in his eyes.

"I never wanted this. I never wanted the crown. I was fine with Rhaenyra being Queen." Aegon breathed out defeated, staring at his cup.

Aemond said nothing, waiting to Aegon to continue.

Aegon let out a humorless chuckle. "I never believed mother when she said father wanted me to succeed him. Not when a day before, he had walked out of his bed for the first time in years just for Rhaenyra"

Aemond clicked his tongue. "Rhaenyra was his favorite."

Aegon snorts. "Don't we know it."

His tone turns dark. "Two of my children are dead and now Borros Baratheon has pledged for Rhaenyra," he sighs while taking another swing of the wine. "Might as well submit to her rule. We are losing."

Aemond hummed. "Perhaps we should take a... more sentimental approach, brother," Aegon raised a brow. "Write to Rhaenyra yourself. Tell her she needs to bend the knee to the true king or else her children's lives could be in danger."

Aegon snorted. "And you think Rhaenyra will bend the knee after having been named heir for over twenty years?"

Aemond shook his head. "No. We might despise Rhaenyra but we both know she loves her children, especially Lucenys."