Welcome home, Ms. L/N!

Standing at the top of the stairs, a woman with h/c hair held in an f/c beanie, a matching scarf hanging snugly onto her neck, and a full fashionable autumn outfit smiles down at Gilbert with a cocked eyebrow.  Gilbert chuckles nervously and runs the back of his neck.

"Well, with that outfit theory you brought up long ago, I can't help bringing it up, Mr. L/n." He confesses. As the woman walks down the steps, a large, black-furred canine appears, following her. The kids gasp at the sight of the animal and are quick to circle with the adults following after. "Can we pet them?" A little girl in a fairy costume cutely asks. Ms. L/n nods and kneels at the canine's level. "Of course. This is Jinx, the Dire Wolf. Be gentle with petting them." She informs the kids, who all nod. The woman looks at the wolf and pats its head. "You be good, I'll be right back." She says and the wolf barks quietly as if it understands what she's saying.

As the kids coo while carefully running their hands on the wolf's fur, Ms. L/n approaches Becca and Izzy with a smile. "Hello, Becca and Izzy. Happy Halloween" The woman then reaches into her pocket and pulls out a book, handing it to Becca. "And happy birthday, Becca." 

Becca takes the book and smiles at it. "A book about the safety of potion making. As powerful potions can be, you are still dealing with things that can cause harm if precautions are not met." Ms. l/n explains the contents.

"Thanks so much, Auntie y/n," Becca says and hugs Ms. l/n, who happily returns the action. "Of course." She pulls the girl away at arm's length to get a good look at her. "You're certainly getting better." She looks around the room, asking the girls, "Where's Cassie? Is she not with you girls?"

Becca sucks air between her teeth, looking at Izzy, they haven't told the woman about the problem the group has been going through, and they don't know how to tell her exactly. "Um, so, you see..." Izzy goes in to explain, but someone unknowingly saves the girls from the predicament.

"So," Gilbert speaks up, scaring Becca and Izzy. "What can I get my favorite customers?" Becca chuckles and holds up a crystal.

"What? That's it?" He asks surprised. "But it's your birthday. You can't just come in here for one crystal like it's any old Tuesday. You know, legend has it, it's on the 16th birthday that a witch gets her powers." Gilbert sings.

"And like most legends, I'm assuming that's based on some sort of patriarchal fear of female aging." Becca scoffs.

"Yeah, probably that too." Gilbert quickly agrees. Y/n laughs and shakes her head. "To get real answers, one must ask a witch herself." She says with a smile. 

"As always, your words are wise," Gilbert says in praise. Izzy decides to change the subject. "How was Transylvania? You got some souvenirs?"

Y/n places her hand on Izzy's head. "As much as I would love to tell you all about it, I have to go visit the Dennison's house. I have to go see my godchild and his crazy aunt."

Before y/n can say goodbye, Becca lights up. "Right! Mr. Traske got something for you." She takes out the bag she got from the mayor earlier. "Dried Lavender. He says he's sorry that he won't be able to visit you today since he's busy with the festival." Becca explains while y/n takes the bag and smiles down at it.

"Such a nice man. What did we do to deserve someone like him?"  She asks, and the rest shrug their shoulders, unable to answer that themselves. "Well, I best be going. See you, girls, later tonight. I'll be back a little after sundown, Gilbert." Y/n bids the three goodbyes before letting out a sharp whistle. Jinx is at y/n's side in an instant, sitting down and looking up at her. The two walk out of the shop and Gilbert talks to Becca and Izzy. "Back to the topic of your birthday, I have a gift for your empowerment." He turns and pulls out a box from the cabinet. Becca and Izzy ooh at this. Gilbert moves away from the cloth covering and pulls out a candle that looks like it's seen better days. He holds it out proudly for the girls to see. "Just the thing for a young mystic."

Izzy looks disgusted by the disfigurement and makes it known by saying, "Ew." While Becca laughs and grabs it to take a closer look at it. "It looks like it drowned." Izzy continues insulting the object, showing no signs she even wants to touch it. 

"Well, looks aren't everything," Gilbert says in an all-knowing voice. Becca takes a whiff of the candle and tips it to Izzy, who bends down to smell it herself while the two continue listening to Gilbert. "Besides, I charged that candle with very powerful magic just for you." The girls nod. "It's perfect for your birthday ritual." He says with a grin. "It's on the house." He then walks back to the main room with the teenagers following right behind him. "You know if you're looking to kill some time before your birthday plans..." He begins to offer a suggestion.

"We're not going on the ghost tour." Becca quickly answers. Gilbert pouts and sighs, "Oh well." 

"I'm sorry, it's just we basically know it by heart," Becca tells the excuse while Izzy looks at the contents on the counter. "Ooh, free stuff. What are these?" She asks, grabbing a small bag.

"Angelica leaves. You burn them to lift curses. You should take some." Gilbert explains, handing the bag of the girls' purchases to them. "For you never know when you may be cursed on Halloween." He says in a scary tone. Banging on glass catches Gilbert's attention, and he gets visibly frustrated. "Hey! No taunting the devil book." He barks and goes over to scold the kids.

Becca and Izzy giggle and grab their stuff, ready to head out to do their birthday ritual in the woods.