Another year, another birthday

The town of Salem is shown to be more modernized than earlier, indicating that many years have passed by. More building is as far as the eye can see with tall trees planted in between the man-made structures.

On one of the cemented roads, a bike is being peddled at a moderate speed. The rider of the bike smiles as she takes in the scenery around her. Adults going around, trying to get where they need to be, children wearing the costume early in the morning, following a teacher in a line.

The girl soon makes her way onto the grounds of her school, and she starts to lean on her bike so she can avoid hitting the students walking around to get to their respective classes.

The girl soon reaches the bike parking lot and gets off, keeping her helmet on her head. As she locks her bike onto the pole, the students continue bumbling around, talking to one another, with a few wearing different costumes to celebrate Halloween.

Once the lock clicks into place, another with glasses girl rushes up to the biker. "Happy birthday! The second girl shouts, making the first one jump. "Did I get you?" The girl with glasses, Izzy, asks with a giggle. "Yeah, you got me." The biker, Becca, confesses.

Izzy laughs again but stops herself. "Oh, so my mom is, of course, you're sleeping over tonight." She relays the message. "Well, Susan loves an event," Becca admits while undoing her bike helmet. "Yes, she does." Izzy agrees.

Izzy looks to the side, and her eyes catch someone familiar. "Oh, incoming." She warns Becca. Becca looks to see where Izzy is motioning to see Cassie walking up to them.

Cassie gives a tight smile and a small wave. "Hey. Happy birthday." She tells Becca. "Thanks," Becca says with nervousness, glancing over to Izzy. 

The three girls walk together side by side, a strained air surrounding them. "Uh...so what are you guys doing tonight?" Cassie asks, striking up a conversation.

Izzy and Becca stay silent until Becca shrugs and answers, "Birthday rituals, scary movie marathon, go see Ms. l/n. Same as every year, you know?" Becca lists. "Yeah." Cassie quietly mutters, looking downcast.

"Hey, babe. Sorry, I'm late." A voice speaks up, and a boy rushes over to Cassie. "I decided to have two breakfasts." He explains with a big smile. He grabs Cassie's hand tightly as he continues. "Oh, and you got to come to check out Brian's car. We covered the entire thing in tinfoil." He explains.

"Why?" Becca asks, confused about why someone would do something like that. The boy looks at Becca, his big smile not leaving his face. "Because it's funny." He simply says it as if it's the most obvious thing.

"Mike, come on, let's go." A boy from the distance calls out to Cassie's boyfriend. Mike pulls Cassie along with him, to which she gives a fleeting bye to Becca and Izzy.

"Well, that's a start, right?" Izzy asks hopefully as the two continue their way to class. "Why would she ask about our plans? She knows what we're doing. " Becca asks incredulously.

"Maybe she was hoping you'd invite her?" Izzy wonders. "Izz, if she wanted to hang out with us on my birthday, she'd probably have hung out with us one other time in the last four months." Becca expresses the obvious, making Izzy sigh. "I know, but still, it's our tradition." She points out. Becca looks back to Cassie's retreating figure as she thinks. "Yeah, maybe."

Later in the day, students are walking into science class, take their seats, and pull out the things they need for the subject. After setting down her science book, Becca pulls out her book, she sets down her good luck rock. 

"What do you need good luck for?" Izzy asks while she settles into her seat. "Ten bucks says we have a pop quiz today." Becca bets and Izzy hums in realization.