Chapter 2 - Just What I Needed

Skip to Monday

You walked into the library and made your way to the fantasy section, stopping when you heard the librarian, Mrs. Williams, speak.

"The Hobbit's out right now," She said.

"Oh, okay," You said, hiding your disappointment. You loved "The Hobbit". It was by far your favorite book. But you couldn't afford to buy it yourself, and you didn't want to tell your mom you wanted if because you knew she'd immediately get it. She was already working a double shift, and you didn't want her spending any extra money on you.

"I can put it on hold for you, if you'd like," Mrs. Williams offered.

"That's okay. I check it out way too much, anyway. I'll just grab the first book of "The Lord of the Rings" series," You replied with a smile.

"All right," Mrs. Williams said.

You grabbed "The Fellowship of the Ring" from the fantasy section, checked it out, and walked over to the reading area. You set your bag down, sat down in one of the chairs, and opened the book.

This was almost always how you spent the rest of your lunch hour; reading in the library. Sometimes, you grabbed your lunch and spent the whole lunch hour there. Max would accompany you on rare occasions, but she didn't favorite reading as much as you did.

"Hey, uh, I want to return this." Someone said. You looked up from your book to see Eddie, standing at the counter. The librarian smiled and took what you realized was "The Hobbit" from Eddie.

"You returned it on time this time," She said.

"Oh, trust me, Mrs. Williams. I'll be back for it. I might just take it with me when I graduate," Eddie replied with a smirk.

"No, you will not take it. If anyone here is taking it, it's that girl over there," Mrs. Williams said, gesturing to you. No! Don't look. Don't look! You pleaded. Eddie looked over to you, and you quickly looked back at your book, avoiding his gaze. Goddamn it!
"She's checked that book out more times than anyone else in this school. Even more than you have," Mrs. Williams said.

"Hey, Y/n," Eddie said. What the hell? You asked yourself. That caught you off guard. The way he said it sounded... friendly? It was weird.

"What do you want?" You asked.

"Nothing. I was just saying hi," Eddie replied.

"Sure," You replied sarcastically. He had to have wanted something. There's no way he'd just be nice to you.

"Anyway, bye, Mrs. Williams," Eddie said before leaving. Once he was gone, you let out a sigh of relief.

"You know, he's quite fond of you," Mrs. Williams said. You put your bookmark in your book, closed it, and looked at Mrs. Williams in confusion.

"Excuse me?" You asked.

"Oh, yes. He talks about you to his friends whenever he brings them," Mrs. Williams replied.

"I do believe you've misunderstood. I'm surprised that he talks about me at all, but if he does, then it's not good stuff he's saying," You said.