Chapter 8 - Share the News

Monday

You walked into English and went to your seat, looking at Nancy with a smile.

"So, Mike told me things," Nancy said. Oh, I'm gonna kill you, Mike! You thought to yourself.
"Is he full of it, or is it true?" She asked.

"I was gonna tell you myself. But, uh, yeah. It's true," You replied, feeling embarrassed.

"Is what true?" Someone asked. You looked over to see Chance, who was turned to face you from his seat in front of you.

"None of your business, Chance," You replied, rolling your eyes.

"Fine. Fine," Chance said, putting his hands up as if he was surrendering. He then put them down, looking at you with a smirk.
"So, I was thinking about something," He said.

"And what would that be?" You asked, not really interested in the boring news Chance might have to share.

"How would you feel about a trip to Enzo's? I'm thinking Friday at six?" He asked.
"Call it a date, if you would," He added. You were shocked. Chance Dean, the king of Hawkins High, asking you on a date? Not to mention the fact that he already had a girlfriend. Ew. Was all you could think to yourself.

"Hate to break it to you, Chance- actually, no, I don't— but she's taken." You recognized Eddie's voice immediately, a smile creeping across your face. Chance laughed, seemingly amused.

"Sure, she is," He said sarcastically.
"Why don't you mind your business, freak?" He asked.

"Actually, Chance, I am in fact taken. So, no, I will not be going to Enzo's with you," You said, gaining Chance's attention again.

"Is that so?" He asked.
"Who's the "lucky" guy?" He asked.
"That's if he is a guy. I wouldn't put it past you to be one of those disgusting fags," He said. You went to make a snarky remark, but before you could, Eddie spoke first.

"Knock it off, Dean," He said.

"What's it to you, freak? Are you her boyfriend?" He asked mockingly.

"As a matter of fact, I am," Eddie replied with a smirk. He sat down at his desk, taking out his stuff while Chance's face turned to one of disgust.

"You really chose the freak over me?" He asked.

"Yep. And even if you didn't already have a girlfriend, I still would've chosen Eddie, because you and your friends have done nothing but bully and harass me since I moved here," You replied. He scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Fine," He said.
"But my offer still stands. You know, once you're ready to ditch that freak," He added. You scoffed, looking at him in disgust.

"In your dreams," You said.

Time Skip

The bell rang, signaling the end of class. You and Eddie packed up your stuff, waited for Nancy to do the same, and then the three of you left the room.

"All right, I'll see you later, Y/n," Nancy said with a smile.

"See ya' later, Nance," You replied. You hugged her, and then she left. After she did, you looked at Eddie, who was smiling at you.
"What?" You asked, looking at him in confusion. He chuckled and shook his head.