Chapter Seventeen

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

Isobel, Morag, Mandy and I were on our way to the Quidditch pitch to watch the match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff, when Hermione bumped into us. Well, she bumped into me. I held her by her arms to stop her and took in her facial expression. "Slow down, Speedy. Where are you going? Quidditch is the other way."

"I have to go to the library." She replied, out of breath.

I looked at her with a frown. "Now? But you'll have plenty of time after the match."

She shook her head and grabbed my shoulders in an urgent way. "I think I understand why only Harry can hear the voice."

My eyes widen. "He heard it again?"

She nod her head with a frown.

Oh no...then that means the creature is back and might try to kill again.

Hermione suddenly grabbed my hand and pulled me to the opposite direction where she was supposingly was headed, away from the Quidditch pitch, and away from my friends. I looked back at them, only to see them dismissing me.

"We'll tell you who won, and what happened." Morag lazily said.

"That's if you are going to take forever in the library." Mandy added.

"And since the monster has woken again, please be careful." Isobel plead, giving me puppy eyes.

I nod at her and waved goodbye to the girls. A few minutes of walking in total silence, I looked at Hermione, who looked stressed and scared. It made me worry. "'Mione, what is going on?"

Just after I asked the question, we reached the library, which was quite fast for only a few minutes. But that was because we speed walked the whole way. The library was dead silent and Madam Pince gave us curious glances, probably wondering why are we not by the pitch like all the other students. We walked past her and I gave her a stiff smile. Hermione didn't answer my question until we were at the back of the library.

She looked at me with a serious face. "Tom Riddle's diary is gone."

"When?" I ask.

"Yesterday." She replied, moving to the shelves, looking for a book. "Harry's whole side of his dormitory was wrecked.

I thought for a moment until I eventually replied." This is no coincidence, Hermione."

She looked at me, confused. "You know that day Harry found that diary in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom?" I question to which she nod. "Well, after he found it, there hasn't been any attacks or voices that Harry heard for about four months. And then suddenly someone took it and today Harry heard the voice again. That mean that this person that has the book has access to the Chamber of Secrets."

"Then that means that Tom Riddle knows of the Chamber." Hermione state, finally on the same page as me.

I nod. "I bet he's the one who really opened it fifty years ago, but blamed it all on Hagrid to cover his tracks." I took a random book off the shelf and opened it. The book looked interesting, named 'Moste Macabre Monstrosities'. I scanned through the pages until one specific page caught my eye. "Uhm, Hermione?" I call her. I heard a hum in response so I took it that she was listening. "How does someone get petrified?"

There was a moment of silence.

"Well, I only know that if you look in the eyes of specific venomous snakes, they will turn you into stone, or in other words, petrify you."

"Are you talking about the snakes on Medusa's head?" I ask her.

She nod her head. "Yes."

"But they don't kill you."