CHAPTER 72

Kaleus, Merrowman and Damaskus all started in the direction of the Elder Houses. All twelve Elders lived in one giant circular neighborhood, if one would consider space having one. There seemed to be music and laughter coming out of the 11th House, so all three floated there. Kaleus was determined to talk to Libra or even use his library again. Damaskus walked in the middle of both, proud that this was his idea about maybe having his brother get the female human pregnant without her having to die in his arms.

They reached the 11th House and had to bang a few times on the door. Finally, a robust blonde, wearing no shirt, and a white kilt answered. His long blonde hair fell in waves, and his eyes shone a brilliant green. It was Elder Leo, holding a large golden goblet with a lion's head on it, and it was filled with Alcohol Cloud to the brim. When you were an Elder Constellation, you had the choice to remain in your true Constellation form, or take on the form that you would look like if you were on Earth or other neighboring planets. For instance, when Elder Leo would visit Mars, his appearance looked more like a metallic red warrior with piercing gold eyes. It just depended on where you were at the time. Leo liked his Earth form, he had seen plenty of human artists draw him, so for the party tonight, he decided to go all "Earth." "Come in, Constellations, you may enter," and he dramatically bowed to them. Merrowman looked over at Kaleus whispering, "is Elder Leo intoxicated?" Damaskus whispered back, "I hope so. I do not want him to remember the Supernova incident." Merrowman shot Damaskus a look, keeping as calm as he could. "Shut up. Do not say a peep to Elder Leo, he is most protective of his daughters."

A long floating table made of cosmic orange dust held a giant crystal blue bowl, and Elder Pisces, Cancer, and Scorpio were all talking in hushed tones. Scanning the room, Kaleus could not find Elder Libra, anywhere. Then a loud roar sounded, and Elder Aries and Sagittarius started a friendly arm wrestling match, with an Elder Capricorn, Taurus and Virgo watching. Elder Gemini, Aquarius and Libra were nowhere to be seen.

Damaskus walked around the 11th House, admiring Elder Aquarius' home. It was a little..different. He didn't know much about interior designing, but it seemed that Elder Aquarius liked to pick up pieces of objects at random and turn them into...art? A brilliant bright wall had what appeared to be a door which was slanted, painted dark purple and had a clear, plastic round knob shaped like a diamond. Elder Aquarius, Libra and Gemini came walking up behind Damaskus, who jumped, since he was studying the weird art door-thing. "Excuse me, Elders, I did not mean to jump that way, and no disrespect was intended." Aquarius waved his hand, dismissing the action. "Do not worry." Aquarius got a little mischievous then, as did Gemini.

Damaskus went back into his usual warrior posture. Aquarius smiled and asked, "So, what do you think you are looking at?" Gemini and Libra exchanged knowing looks. Damaskus looked back at the weird art. "Well, I would say it looks like its from some primitive planet, but I am not sure why it's there." Aquarius' long indigo and blue robe quietly brushed the floor, his sandals shining. He touched the door knob, and turned it. Damaskus watched while the door opened, just a crack, and then stopped. Gemini piped up. "Oh, tell him, brother," poking Aquarius in his star ribs. Libra's scale was now out of his robe's pocket and hanging in the air, tipping up. "Yes, the scale is in favor of an answer." Aquarius leaned in and very quietly said, "I am building a porthole to a new dimension." Damaskus' star mouth gaped open. He was stunned into silence and most impressed. Leo walked over then, voice booming. "No, he's not! He just ran out of star jelly! The door is supposed to remain closed at all times." Star jelly was just the constellation's version of Earth glue. Aquarius used a lot of star jelly for his projects, as did Gemini and Capricorn. Tipping back his golden lion goblet, he finished his Alcohol Cloud drink. Aries and Sagittarius were hollering now, so Leo walked over to watch the arm wrestling contest, an empty golden goblet in hand.

Kaleus and Merrowman finally cornered Libra, while Damaskus stubbornly tried pulling the door with Aquarius and Gemini watching him. "We have a thought," Kaleus told Libra, seriously. "It is my brother's idea, actually. I should probably have him ask." All three looked over at Damaskus, still trying to pull the door open, cursing. Merrowman just rolled his star eyes. "Forget it, he is going to be at that all damn cycle." Libra pulled his scales out again and waited for the question. "What if I go to Earth, and get Annaliese pregnant? Would that help me stay on Earth or could she come and live with me in the sky? She will be carrying my starling." Libra's eyes grew wide and a spark of sadness showed. "I am sorry, that is impossible. When you take on human form, you may share plenty of human sex with her, but, you are unable to get her pregnant with a starling. She has to be a Constellation herself in order for your plan to work." The golden scales then dipped up, in agreement.All three Constellations left the 11th House, in different moods. Kaleus feeling defeated, Merrowman trying to think of another plan, and Damaskus going on about how he could "feel the door open more due to his strength." Each lived inside their own heads for the trip back to their stations. After getting back to their areas, Kaleus looked down solemnly at her home. He wondered what she was thinking right now. Was she missing him? Crying those sorrowful Earth tears, her gorgeous brown eyes wet? Damn Father, he should just leave now and be with her. Merrowman must have been reading his mind. "Don't go down there just yet," he warned Kaleus. "It's too soon. We need a plan."