Awaken, My Darling

"Hey Kitty-Kat, wonderful morning don't you think?"

The older man climbs through the window into the hospital room greeting his daughter with a raised palm, his pure white spikes glistening with the golden hues of the early dawn. His bright smile softens as he approaches the bed where she lays and sits down at her side. He chuckles softly to himself, she would probably hate that nickname, Please never call me that again, she would say as she tries to stifle her cute snorts.

"You know, you're really missing out," he comments gently tucking some of the loose strands behind her ear, noticing the ones a bit unnaturally short compared to the rest. His hand trembles as his thumb glides along the cut tresses.

He exhales deeply and closes his eyes, "I can't forgive him for this." Jiraiya turns his head so his eyes land on Tsunade's leaning on the doorframe.

"Do you really think he knew," she asks as she approaches the bedside and inspects the I.V line attached at the crook of Katsume's elbow. Then proceeding to check the rest of her vitals, finding them steady as they have been.

"Yes, Katsume caught the spy herself, he must've overheard me call her my daughter." Jiraiya's eyebrows draw in as he recalls her words–a few too many ears. This concern in her features should have been his telling that something like this would happen. Everything about that mission was fishy, he thought, he should've been more cautious.

"I understand you're proud, but her relation to us needs to stay quiet. You and I have far too many enemies, Jiraiya."

"Don't you think I know that, Tsunade? Do you really think I don't know how much I screwed up? Now, look at her."

Jiraiya lets out a shaky breath wiping his hand down his face and leaves it there, shielding his emotion from escaping any further. The woman reaches across the bed and gently places her hand over his pulling it from his face so he can see her. " You saved her, Jiraiya, and you brought our daughter back to us. She's still healing, but she's going to be okay. We just have to wait it out," she assures as she turns to caress the top of Katsume's head. This is the first time she's had the opportunity to show her appreciation, and she realizes her hair has a faint blonde undertone to it. She smiles as her eyes soften in her adoration.

He stares at his hand in Tsunade's and trails to her soft chocolate orbs, finding some comfort in her words and the gratitude in her gentle gaze, and he sighs a more relieved breath. He smiles softly watching as she smooths out their daughter's ivory tresses. "I wish she'd hurry it up, I miss her."

"Me too. Although she probably wouldn't say the same for me," she lets out a hollow chuckle and her features fall, "I don't know if I can ever make up for what I did to her, or you, but I'll spend the rest of my life trying. I won't let her leave this world before me, I'll give my life before I let someone take hers from me. You have my word."

Jiraiya laughs quietly, "Well, that's what it means to be a parent. It'll take a while for us to get the hang of it, but you and I are figuring it out, together. She'll come around eventually, Tsunade. She's been through a lot, just give her time."

Their gazes gravitate to one another and they smile. They just need time. Time to grow, to change, to evolve. To be the parents that their daughter deserves. The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Katsume took the excruciating first step, and now it is time for them to help her walk, be the shoulders for her to lean on whether she wants them or not. Be her guides–one in the light, and one in the shadows.

They will be with her...every step of the way.

________________________________________________________________________________