A Long Story

"Lady Fifth."

Kakashi nods in greeting as he stands before Tsunade and Shizune in her office. He had walked in on the brunette chastising the Hokage for falling behind on her paperwork...and day drinking. He wished he hadn't entered when he did, so he wouldn't have to pretend not to have heard it. He respects the Hokage, as all his fellow shinobi do. He guesses everyone has a shtick. The Hokage is no exception, with her drinking and unfortunate gambling, but he couldn't blame her. He's well aware of the stress that comes with maintaining and protecting a village as significant as the Leaf. He's seen it. Minato-sensei. Lord Third. It always took its toll. Oftentimes, in this society, it ends fatally early.

It is an unfortunate job.

"I have the report of Miss Katsume's examination," he speaks formally, not much of a reach from how he does normally.

Tsunade looks up through the large stacks of documents Shizune decided she needed to catch up on post haste.

"Oh. Already? That was fast," she asks, surprise in her tone, "Alright, what is your report?"

Kakashi briefly recalls the valuable moments of the test. He was and is confident in his decision to pass her. He had a guttural feeling. Even with all her current abilities, she had considerable potential to surpass any current limits she may have. He clasps his gloved hands behind him before stating his report from memory.

"She passed my examination, exceeding my expectations greatly. I engaged in close combat at the start. She showed advanced abilities in taijutsu, and her physical strength was substantial. That was prior to her releasing the seal on her chakra," he explains. It felt oddly like he was boasting about her, but he overlooked the sensation.

Tsunade hums, causing him to pause. "Chakra Suppression, huh? Well, that explains why her chakra flow felt so weak. My apologies. Please, continue."

"Of course, I felt that as well, but when the seal was released, the pressure from it was immense. Without knowing her average chakra levels, it was impossible to determine the duration she had been suppressing it. Katsume also wields a rare crystal kekkei genkai. I've never seen one before, but I did determine it to be derived from Earth Style, finding fire and lightning types to be most effective in countering it. She has incredible control of her chakra as well as her extraordinary technique. She also informed me after the test concluded that she is adept in summoning techniques, but I have yet to confirm whether that is factual."

Tsunade listens intently as he explains his findings. It was all very intriguing, especially how Katsume could've developed a crystal kekkei genkai. Generally, they are genetic. However, there are fortunate exceptions. It wouldn't be surprising if she indeed had summoning techniques, as well, given herself and Jiraiya's talents. The endless questions whirling and swirling within her create a heavy wave of guilt to come crashing down over her. A relentless and brutal wave that shows mercy to no one. Not even the Hokage. A wave that drowns her in the missed opportunities, filling her every orifice with salted shame. Every question without a known answer is icy and pungent. Stuffing more shame, regret, and sorrow like an overwhelming force on her sense of self. No matter how strong she is or how well she can swim, this merciless wave can drown anyone. It is not selective in who it drowns. It crashes wherever it pleases, and no one can escape it. No one can outswim a relentless wave. She can only surrender. Submitting to its unbridled intensity as it pulls her under, she lets it fill her orifices and drown her in the lost experiences. After all, she only has herself to blame. She deserves to suffocate on her own excuses.

"Is that all," she asks the man before her.

"Yes, Lady Fifth," he answers as he passes her the written report and awaits her next order.