Act One, Scene Eight

┍━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
"𝚅𝚑𝚊𝚐𝚊𝚛 𝙷𝚊𝚜 𝚊 𝙽𝚎𝚠 𝚁𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚛 𝙽𝚘𝚠"
𝟷𝟸𝟺 𝙰𝙲 - 𝙳𝚛𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚔
┕━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙

NIGHT HAD FALLEN, CASTING THE island in a shroud of darkness. It had been a long while since the Targaryen girl retired to her chambers for the night, no longer finding amusement in watching Aegon fail at flirting with the serving girls in his drunken state.

Instead, she chose to sit by the roaring fire of her chambers, a book propped open in her lap as she sat in silence, the crackling of wood the only sound to be heard. She enjoyed moments like these, spent in the dark of night where not a soul would disturb her.

Tonight seemed different, however, when a very light knock came at her door. Her head turned to face it, thinking her mind was playing trick on her. But when it came again, the girl slowly rose from her seat and made her way over.

She hardly pulled the door open a crack, just enough to peek at who was outside, and she let out a sigh of relief at who she saw.

"Aemond, what are you doing here? It's late." The girl pulled the door open more, allowing him the room to enter. Yet, he stayed in the hall, looking nervously around him every now and again. "What is going on?"

The white haired boy took a shaky breath, as if trying to gain the courage to speak the next words aloud. "I'm going to claim Vhagar."

She stood in shock at his words, scanning his face to find any hints that the boy before her was bluffing. And yet, she found nothing; he was being serious.

    "Vhagar?" Vaella questioned, as if making sure she heard him right, and when the boy nodded, she let out a soft sigh. "Aemond, I want you to have a dragon, I do. But Vhagar is-"

     "The second largest dragon in the world."

     The girl paused at his interruption, her mind reeling back to not too long ago when she had told him those words. Promised him that he would have the next largest and strongest dragon there was, apart from her own. And now, he was going to claim said dragon.

     Slowly, a smile spread across her face. "Let me get changed."

𖤍

     The halls of Driftmark became eery as the sun went down. Most of the torches have been extinguished for the night, with most of the castle's occupants already tucked safely in their beds. All except the two Targaryen children, who snuck through the shadows in search of a way out to the hills.

They found their passage in the Eastern wing of the keep, the doorway leading down to a passage through the stone. Only a couple torches lit the small cove, the tunnel stretching to the outside world being covered in darkness.

"I'll stay here," Vaella spoke before the boy could tug her along further, causing him to spin and face her with widened eyes.

"What?" He said urgently. "No. I need you."

She squeezed his hand lightly. "This is something you need to do on your own." Letting out a shaky sigh, she continued. "Just hold your ground. Dragons can sense a person's intention; don't show fear against her."