Act Two, Scene One

┍━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
"𝙰 𝙶𝚛𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝙱𝚘𝚢"
𝟷𝟸𝟾 𝙰𝙲 - 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚁𝚎𝚍 𝙺𝚎𝚎𝚙
┕━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙

     TIME SEEMED TO HAVE PASSED far to quickly for the Targaryen girl's liking. Before she could hardly wrap her head around the fact that the king's eldest daughter was returning to the capital, she found herself sitting in the council chambers, the woman in question due to arrive at any point within the day.

     Vaella couldn't quite focus on what the elders in the room were talking about, choosing to keep her eyes on the blue sky visible through the large window from her place between the queen and the Hand of the King. The oldest lord's voice droned on behind her, causing her to let out a sigh.

    The queen herself seemed to be the only one who heard the sound, her green eyes glancing over at the girl before she, too, sighed softly and faced the old lord. "Thank you for that exhaustive accounting, Lord Beesbury," She said, interrupting whatever the man had been saying. "I remind you-"

    Alicent was interrupted this time, though not by any voice, but instead by the opening of the chamber's doors. The white haired girl turned her gaze away from the window as the room fell silent upon the Kingsguard's arrival.

    The guard, Ser Harold, nodded his head in a silent greeting before looking directly at the Hightower queen. "Your guests have arrived, Your Grace."

     His words caused Vaella to sit straighter in her chair, her usually blank face turning colder as she thought about who the man referred to as 'guests'. Though, it was Otto who spoke next.

     "I trusts they've been welcomed as befits their station."

     "As you instructed, Lord Hand." With that said, Harold nodded once more before exiting the room.

     The council was silent for merely a moment before the maester spoke up. "It is my understanding that Lord Corlys wished for his grandson Lucerys to succeed him as Lord of the Tides."

     Tyland Lannister, who sat at the other end of the table, spoke up upon hearing the man's words. "The boy has been raised most of his life away from Driftmark. He can fly a dragon, yes, but can he command a fleet?"

    The young girl couldn't help but let a scoff fall from her lips, causing all eyes to turn to her, though her gaze didn't stray from where she was messing with the glass orb in front of her. "Lucerys Velaryon is a green boy. He can hardly control his temper, much less that dragon of his." Her eyes finally looked up, looking around at the council members.

     "Ability does not alter his claim," Lord Beesbury reminded the girl and the Lannister both, glancing between the two.

     The man across from the Targaryen girl spoke for the first time during the meeting, eyes turning to look at Jasper Wylde. "The Sea Snake has never formally named him as heir, if it comes to that."

     "The crown must choose what is best for the realm." Otto said in a cool tone, though was quickly outspoken by the Beesbury man.

     "He is Laenor's son. What grounds could there be..."

     "What indeed, Lord Beesbury," Jasper spoke once more, a snarky tone in his voice. "What indeed."

     Vaella sighed softly. "If the crown does decide to name Lucerys Velaryon as the heir to Driftmark, it wouldn't be in their best interest to send him in with no knowledge of being a lord." Her gaze turned to the queen, who nodded for her to continue. "Should Lord Corlys pass before his time, the boy should be sent as a ward to Driftmark under the guidance of the Sea Snake's brother, Lord Vaemond Velaryon, until he comes to a proper age.

      "That way he can learn how to run the castle and its fleets, instead of being thrown into it without a thought of what to do." Her gaze turned away from the woman to the others gathered around the table. "I believe it would be the best course of action on the crowns behalf."

     Alicent nodded as the girl fell silent, turning to the council memebers as well. "We shall hear Princess Rhaenyra's petition, along with those of the other claimants on the morrow. I do beg your pardon, my lords."

     The woman placed her palms on the table, slowing rising out of her seat. This prompted everyone else to rise from their chairs, some still thinking over what had been said.

     "I must greet our guests," The queen maneuvered around the table, taking a few steps before her eyes fell on her good-daughter. "Vaella, come."

    With a nod to the council members, the Targaryen girl followed her out of the chamber. The pair, however, were intercepted upon their exit by one of the Carvyll twins.

    "Your Grace," He said, rushing up to the queen and falling into step beside her and the princess. "A matter has arisen that requires your attention."

    "Whatever it is, Ser Arryk, it'll need to wait." The Hightower dismissed, not faultering in her hurried stride.

    "I'm Erryk, Your Grace."

    "Of course. My apologies, ser."

    "It's about the Prince." The man stated, finally causing the woman to stop and turn her attention to the Kingsguard. "There's been a delicate situation in his apartments."

     "Oh, Aegon." Vaella murmured under her breath, knowing already the guard wasn't referring to her husband.

     "I've been instructed to tell you to head to your chambers first, Your Grace."

     Alicent sighed, her mind spinning at what could have happened. "Thank you, Ser Erryk." The man nodded to her before disappearing down the hall. "What am I going to do with that boy?"

     "I can handle Aegon, mother," The girl said as the pair started ascending the stairs towards the royal apartments. "You deal with whomever may be awaiting you in your chambers and join us when the matter is settled."

     The queen sighed as they reached the top, turning to rest her hand on the girl's cheek with a gentle smile. "You are too good for this world, dear one." She said sincerely. "Far too good."

     Vaella gave her a similar smile before she watched the woman walk away, her smile falling more then further the queen got. "Only when I want to be." She murmured before turning on her heel, making her way to the prince's chamber.

𖤍

ᴡᴇʟᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴀᴄᴛ ᴛᴡᴏ (: