Act One, Scene Fifteen

┍━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
"𝚂𝚒𝚡 𝚈𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜"
𝟷𝟸𝟾 𝙰𝙲 - 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚁𝚎𝚍 𝙺𝚎𝚎𝚙
┕━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙

THE ROOM WOULD BE QUIET if it wasn't for the dainty voice of Vaella Targaryen. She was in her usual place beside the king's bed, reading the words written in Valyrian to the bedridden man, his favorite history book resting between her fingers. To others, it would've looked like the man had fallen asleep, but the girl knew otherwise; he was weak.

While everyone could see the king's health declining, the past months had seemed to have really taken a toll on the man, causing him to be bedridden for most hours of the day. The last time Viserys had been seen in public had been his son's wedding to the girl herself, which was nearly six moons ago. He had his hand sit in place of him during court and he hasn't been to the council meeting in ages.

    A groggy sound came from the sickly man, causing the princess to look up from the pages of the worn-out book. His uncovered eye was fluttering open and closed, the king's hand reaching weakly towards his bedside table.

     Setting the book down, Vaella reached forwards and grabbed his goblet, handing it gently to him. "Here, Your Grace."

    His shaking hand grasped around it, the girl helping him sit up slightly and lead it to his lips. After a moment, he pulled away, allowing the girl to set the go leg back on the table.

    "Thank you," His breathy voice said, his hand laying against his chest and his eye closing shut once more as he let out a sigh. "Thank you, Rhaenyra."

    Her eyes became downcast, resting on her hands that were interlocked on top of the book. It was often that the man would mistake the girl for his eldest child, despite the woman not having been around for years.

    It was the disease eating away at his mind and body.

    "Vaella."

    Her head snapped towards the door, not having realized how long she had been sitting in her thoughts. The king was now resting beside her, his heavy breathing being the only thing in the silent room.

    Alicent stood in the doorway, her face neutral as her eyes flickered from her husband to her daughter by law. She took a small strip forwards, her hands folding neatly in front of her.

    "The council has been summoned," She said in a soft voice, trying not to wake the king. "I would like you to sit in."

     This wasn't the first time the queen has asked this of her; she had been invited to the past few meetings. Alicent wished for her to advance her knowledge in a political standing, knowing she would be able to help whoever sat the Iron Throne next.

     And, with luck, it would be own of the Hightower woman's sons.

𖤍

     Footsteps echoed through the room as the young princess marched hurriedly through the halls. The council meeting had just ended, and Vaella wanted nothing more than to simply be back in the comfort of her own chambers.

     She greeted the guard outside the chambers with a small nod, receiving one in return as the man opened the door. The room inside was empty. With a hum, the girl glanced outside the window, judging by the high sun that Aemond was more than likely still in the training yard.