Chapter Seventeen

Leila

Alex and Aries sat across from Aden and me in Aden's living room. I knew the brothers practically my whole life. We were friends, almost like siblings, and we all cared about each other.

Yet, when Aden told them to come over so we could discuss something, I didn't feel that same closeness. I felt scared and shy about bringing up everything.

Aden said he wouldn't do anything without them knowing and insisted I sit when they talk about it. It's not like Aden was going to give them all the details and he also didn't bring them here to ask for permission.

He simply respected his brothers enough to let them know what was going on and what he had planned.

"Her uncle?" Alex repeated in shock and then turned to me with wide eyes. "Your uncle?"

"They think the bar is theirs. That they're owed it from my father." I explained.

Aries was quiet, too quiet and it made me more apprehensive. The usual goofball personality that I knew was gone, replaced by a more solemn version of his brothers. He looked murderous and angry, and I could see a twinge of sadness in the mask he was wearing.

"I'm not here for you to sign a permission slip, Alex," Aden spoke from beside me. "He's as good as dead."

Alex ran his fingers through his hair and sighed loudly.

"Leila, this is something you can't come back from. He's your uncle, the choice should be yours. The breaking into your bar and trashing it can be dealt with in another way. A way that doesn't end in blood." He reasoned.

"Don't talk to her like that." Aden snapped, his grip on my waist tightening. "Like she's stupid and doesn't understand the grand scheme of the whole situation."

"I'm not." Alex snapped. "For fucks sake, Aden, he's her family. Someone needs to be a voice of reason."

"He's not her family." Aden ground out through clenched teeth. My hand reached out to rub his back, and I felt him relax slightly. "He...he deserves more than a quick death. I'll fucking tell you that much."

"Leila," Aries spoke, his voice too calm and cool. "Aden's been talking for you, and I'd like to hear what you have to say."

"He's not a good man. The threats will continue and despite you all having my back, what if one day you're too late?" I whispered. "They hated me before my father passed and they hate me now more. That bar means more than can be put into words. It's the last piece of my father. I can't let them have it or let them even think it's a choice."

"But murder?" Aries sighed loudly. "Leila, look at me. Alex is right, you can never come back from this."

"This is ridiculous!" Aden shouted, getting off the couch as if not able to contain his anger by staying sitting. "You're all fucking with her head. He deserves this. For what he did, I'm being fucking merciful."

"For what he did? He trashed the bar and threatened her."

"Alex, you hypocritical bastard! You shot a fucker for threatening Rosie with a butter knife," Aden screamed, his voice rising with every word.

Alex stood up and shoved his finger into Aden's chest.

"That's different."

Aden smacked his hand away. "How so?" He spat. "He threatened Rosie. He hurt her. This is the same thing. Someone hurt Leila. Hurt my girl and now when I want to take revenge, I'm in the fucking wrong?"

"For starters, he wasn't her fucking uncle!"

"Aden," I spoke, and they stopped their fight to look at me. As if sensing what I was going to say, he ran over to me.