Mourning Together

Title: Mourning Together
Description: Percival and Merlin mourn Lancelot's death.
Word Count: 416
Part: 1/1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yeah... so I meant to get out that one fic this week, but I really don't want to rush it so sorry this one is so short again😭 I will to really really try to get it out next week. But no promises.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merlin was sitting with his feet dangling off of one of the east towers in the castle. He looked up at the sky and closed his eyes. He had just lost a good friend. A dear friend. One who knew all his secrets. He... no one could compare.

Merlin didn't react when he heard footsteps walking towards him and didn't even open his eyes when the person came to stand next to him. Even though he didn't speak, Merlin knew it was Percival that was there with him. Percival was close to Lancelot too and if anyone was to understand his grief, it would be him.

"He was a better man than all of us could even dream of being."

Merlin didn't need to nod for Percival to know he agreed.

"I miss him. He... he really knew me."

Percival hummed in agreement.

"He talked about you often you know. You really meant a lot to him."

Merlin peeled his eyes open and turned to look at Percival.

"You think?"

"I know."

It was silent for a while after that.

"He really changed my life," Percival started, "When I'd met him I was a mess. I had just lost my whole family. He was there for me, even though I was a total stranger. He saved me and I will forever be indebted to him for it."

There was another bout of brief silence before Percival added on to his previous statement.

"A debt I will never get the chance to repay."

Merlin hummed in acknowledgement.

"He saved me too. From a griffin. And I repayed him by getting him locked up in the dungeons. He was noble to a fault. He refused to blame me. He said he had chosen to go along with my plan."

"The forged seal of nobility?"

Merlin smiled sadly.

"He told you about that?"

"That and more."

"Did he tell you about the time he killed a griffin?"

It was Percival's turn to smile.

"He told me that that's what's everyone thought happened. But he refused to take credit for it. He said he didn't do it."

"He really was a humble man."

Percival nodded his agreement and the two just sat in silence. They kept each other company all afternoon; the presence of the other man was comforting. They both had lost someone important to them, and it was honoring to keep his memory alive. So they did. (And Merlin kept it alive for centuries to come).

The End