Chapter 14: Morning Heat

Later in the night, Briar and the others, including Leona, are in a deep sleep. However, Briar begins to dream once more, and surprisingly, it's just like the other dreams she had in the past.

Briar soon opens her eyes and looks around to find herself in some dark place.

"It's so dark here... where am I now...?" Briar wonders.

Suddenly, a strange glow appears causing Briar to turn her head, and sees the little mermaid, Ariel from before swimming in a cave. What frightened Briar is to see the living anemones below her, and all of them have faces.

Suddenly, she hears a voice, "Come in. Come in, my child. You're here because you have a thing for this human. Now, here's the deal."

Soon, the scene changes, and to Briar's shock, she sees an octopus-like woman who looks like the sea witch statue. Only she's purple and black, with white hair, and a red lip. For some strange reason, the name Ursula, is a name that suddenly comes to mind for the sea witch.

The sea witch explains, "I will make you a potion that will turn you into a human for three days. Got that? Three days. Before the sun sets on the third day, you've got to get ol' princey to fall in love with you. Oh - and there is one more thing. We haven't discussed the subject of payment."

And during the time, the two eels from before appear as well.

Ursula holds a gold scroll and says, "What I want from you is... your voice. Now go ahead and sign the scroll! I'll help this poor, unfortunate soul!"

Ariel then grabs the pen and signs her name on the scroll.

Briar continues to watch as Ariel takes the chance and signs the scroll. Just like the chance she ends up taking with Azul

Early the next day, Briar begins to slowly wake up, and feel more tired than usual.

She sits up and says to herself, "I... I have another dream about that mermaid. And she made a deal with the sea witch. Just like how I made a deal with Azul." She sighs and says, "And now I'm dreaming about deals now."

She then hears Grim snoring, "Zzz... Mrah..."

Briar turns to see the others are still asleep, even Leona is sound asleep in his bed.

Just then, the door opens and Ruggie enters the room.

Ruggie calls out, "Heya, g'morning! Leona, it's time to get up."

Then turns to the others, "Up and at 'em, Briar, Grim, Sereia, Tanzanite, Jasper, Trinket. Let's get those mangy faces washed."

Soon, Grim and the others begin to wake up from their sleep.

"Mrah? Morning already?" Grim says, and lets out a yawn.

"What time is it?" Tanzanite asks and puts on his glasses.

Grim notices the time and says in surprise, "W-wait, it's barely six!"

We do morning Spelldrive training here at Savanaclaw. Since you're part of the dorm for the next few days, you'll be joining us," Ruggie says.

Briar and the others are a bit surprised.

Grim replies, "Muh? Morning training?"

"You guys play Spelldrive this early in the morning?" Jasper replies.

"Yup," Ruggie replies, "We've been at it ever since the last Spelldrive tournament."

Just then, they hear Leona grunts and snore in his sleep, "Mrrrgh, lay off... Zzz..." and rolls over in his sleep.

Sereia giggles, "I have to guess Leona is not a morning person.

Just then, Ruggie begins dragging Leona out of bed, "Leona! Don't roll over and go back to sleep!"

Which actually impresses the others.

Grim is the first to say, "Whoa. Ruggie's draggin' his own boss outta bed feet-first."

But Leona continues to sleep, "Mrrrf... Zzz..."

"Leona is still sleeping," Jasper says.

"And it doesn't look like he's going to wake up," Tanzanite says.

"That goes to show how tough it is to get him out of bed in the morning," Briar replies.

Time until Azul's contract expires: Three days

Sometime later, everyone are wearing their gym clothes and are at the Spelldrive Stadium. They soon meet up with Jack in his PE uniform along with the other students.

Jack says, "Oh, hey. You're joining us for morning practice?"

"I coulda used several more winks, but Ruggie wasn't havin' it," Grim says, looking tired.

"Since we've got these freshmen crashing with us, let's make today a light game. Go easy on 'em," Ruggie says to Leona.

Leona lets out a yawn and says, "All this standin' around is gonna make me fall asleep again. Let's get on with it."

And with that, Morning Spelldrive practice begins. Briar, Grim, Sereia, Tanzanite, Jasper, and Jack are on one team. Leona, Ruggie, and other students are on another.

Leona yawns and still has the sleepy look in his eyes.

Grim says, "Hey, he thinks he can take us while he's still half-asleep!"

"Hah. Forget half-asleep—I could take ya while I'm fully in dreamland," Leona says in remark.

"Okay, let's get this party started!" Ruggie says.

And with that, the Spelldrive game begins. Briar and the others are on offense, while Leona, Ruggie, and the other teammates are on defense. Grim has control of the disc while Briar and the others use their magic to repel the attacks from the opposite teammates. Of course, they also have to chase the disc.

After getting into some practice.

Ruggie says, "Wow, you're hoppin' this mornin', Jack!"

"I never go easy in any kind of competition. I'd appreciate if you all could pick up the pace!" Jack says.

"Woof, gimme a break..." Ruggie says.

"Nice goin'," Leona says and lets out a yawn.

Briar and the others, including the Savanaclaw students, continue their Spelldrive Practice. They continue to use their magic on the opposite teams as they try to take the disc away, and those with the disc are trying to reach the goal.

After more practice, everyone does feel good about being able to play more Spelldrive.

Grim happily cheers, "Woohoo! Feel the wrath of my super-special explosive shot!"

Then suddenly notices, "Wait, what?"

Soon, everyone stops playing the game.

Leona stretches his arms and says, "Well, that woke me up."

"I think it's about time to wind things down," Ruggie says.

"This was great practice! Thank you!" Jack says.

And Grim begins to complain, "Whaaat?! But I wanna keep goin'!"

"Yeah. We were doing great," Jasper says.

"As much as we like to continue playing, don't forget we still have something to take care of," Briar says.

"She's right. We need to find a way to get that photograph," Tanzanite says.

"You're right," Jasper says, disappointed.