Chapter 37

After leaving our horse at a stable, we went into the inn next door. Or, what I thought looked like one. Once we stepped foot in the place, I had my doubts. The inside is drabbier than the word itself. The curtains were motheaten, the floors are rotten, the ceiling dripping. It smelled like mildew was growing somewhere. Even the sunlight had a hard time thriving in this place. How can I?

"Will we really be staying here?" I'm almost sure I just saw something scurry into a darken corner. This inn is the most frightening place I have ever found myself in. "It seems...abandoned. How do you know about this place?" A wooden desk stands not far from the front door. Its surface is completely covered by a sheet of dust. How can a business be in such disarray in the busiest city in the realm? "Once upon a time, my mother stayed here. She said that it was the most magical place she had ever been in." I sneak a glance at him. He surveyed the place with rays of emotions flashing behind his eyes.

It wasn't what he was expecting. This was not what he imagined in his mind from the very first time his mother told him that story. I took a sharp breath and rushed forward. My fist pounded on the desk twice, making dust specks fly everywhere. "Hello!" A grunt comes from behind the desk. "Is anyone there?" Another grunt comes along with a hand. "Please stop speaking so loud." A lean and bony man creeps from from his hiding place. He's unhealthily pale with bags under his eyes. Even his greasy hair falls lifeless on his face. "Where's the owner? We would like a room."

The man sighs as he stumbles up. "Eatie's the name. I'm the innkeeper of this bloody place." Eatie lays his head down on his desk without a care of its state. "Take a key, if you must. I don't care. Just leave me be when I'm swiggin' at my bottles!" Behind him are seven hooks with seven keys dangling from them. They appear as if they haven't been used in years. Averett and I exchange a look. Not exactly what I expected either. He quickly snatches a key before bragging me away from this exhausted man. "Thank you!" I call over my shoulder. I only receive a groan from him. That man is strange.

We stomp all the way up to our room. It is much of the same up here too. Ridden with dust and mold. Whatever magic had once run in this place was long gone-leached out of its foundations. But...it still has promise! "What happened to this place?" I hear Averett grumble under his breath. His mood has gotten worse. What is going on with him? It bothers me to see him this way. He's always been playful and joyous. Now he's angry and sulking.

"Time," I graze the doorframe, "it can take as easily as it can give back."

Our room isn't like the ones we had in our previous tenement. Although we had many windows in our room, they were all stained with dirt. It looked rather disgusting actually. "Is this our room?" It lacked attention. I think I may know what it needs. "For now." Averett drops our things at the foot of the bed. "We should rest. Your back must be pained from riding for so long." The uncomfortable twinge has dulled to an ache. He lays onto his back, covering his eyes with an arm. I quietly follow suit.

He doesn't say a word. I don't either. I'm not sure how long I stay by his side. My body relaxed as much as it could on this deflated cot, but my mind was restless. How can I help Averett revert to his usual self? I know being here is emotionally difficult. I think I know what'll make it all better. My eyes rake over his sleep riddled face. I lean in close and run a fingertip across his forehead, pushing stray hairs away from his face. My skin wasn't the only thing that was glowing. "I'll bring the magic back to you, Averett."

*****

"I quit!"

"No, Eatie!" I scramble to grab him. As it turns out, Eatie is a drinker and cannot last long before he goes on a mend. I had convinced him to help me as long as he could go back to his habits. We've been working for hours and every so often he goes into a fit. "You promised!" I clamp down on his ankle, making him trip in the process. "We are almost done! And this is your livelihood I'm working on, Eatie. Don't you wish for a better life?" I blow the stray strands of my hair away from my face.