21

"Steven!?" Carlos mumbled as he entered the tomb. Once he spotted Steven he covered his wound and limped over to Steven, "Steven..."

"Nefertiti. Oh, it's gotta be one of the big'uns." Steven spoke as he looked around and Carlos just sat down until Steven noticed.

"So, you him let him go?" Marc asked Steven and Steven looked at Marc.

"What are you gonna do? Try and drown us now?" Steven asked looking at Marc and Carlos groaned making Steven notice him.

"Carlos love are you okay?" Steven asked looking at Carlos kneeling down.

"Y-yea...mi amor I'm g-good" Carlos smiled still covering his wound. Steven nodded turning around.

"Wow. Look at that. Look at all these relics. Macedonian? No. What? No way. That's not right. That can't be right. That's Macedonian. But the only pharaoh..." Steven spoke as he walks up to a sarcophagus.

"But, I mean, he insisted on calling himself Egyptian. But... I think we're looking at the long-lost tomb of Alexander the Great." Steven smile. Carlos whined in pain as he got up heading towards Steven.

Carlos leaned against the sarcophagus not noticing the the blood stain he leaves on it. "Everything inside me is screaming not to open this thing."Steven sighed.

"You want Harrow to get to Ammit first?" Marc and Carlos almost said in sync.

"All right, all right, all right." Steven exhaled loudly as he started opening the sarcophagus with Carlos' help.

"Oh, man. - Where's the ushabti?" Carlos asked looking at Steven going a little pale.

"Well... If you're gonna hide it for all eternity, you'd probably put it in a place where the average looter wouldn't think to look." Steven explained

"So what do you think?" Marc asked through the reflection of the sarcophagus.

"Um... Alexander was the voice of Ammit. All right. I'm gonna try something." Steven said as he reached for the mummified pharaoh.

"Sorry. Oh, God. So sorry. Sorry, Mr. Great." Steven mumbled as he ripped the fabric and opened his mouth,"All right. Open up. Sorry, Mr. Great. Sorry. I couldn't be more sorry. Ugh! Ew!"

"Steven that's gross" Carlos gagged.

"Yeah, that's it. Get in there. Reach in there, buddy." Marc smiled while Steven and Carlos gagged

"Oh..." Steven gagged as he stuck his hand deeper into the dead guy.
Suck to be him, Carlos thought. Then Steven pulled out the ushabti and Layla came barging in.

"Layla, look. We won." Steven laughed as he held up the ushabti, "And the ushabti goes to us. I had to go digging down old Alexander the Great's gullet, but I found it. You all right, love?"

"Layla are you okay" Carlos spoke weakly.

"Your weak child! Weak! I should have left you to die! Your useless!" Maahes roared and Carlos just ignored, "don't ignore me!"

"Can he hear me?" Layla asked Steven going up to him.

"Alexander? I don't think so. God, I hope not." Steven chuckled looking at the sarcophagus to then Layla.

"What happened to my father? I'm talking to you." Layla yelled pushing Steven slightly.

"What?" Steven asked looking at Layla confused.

"I'm talking to you, Marc!" Layla snapped pushing Steven making him loose his balance before Marc fronted and steadied himself.

"Come on. Let's go, let's go." Marc spoke quickly grabbing Layla and Carlos making him groan in pain.

"No." Layla yelled moving out of Marc's grip.

"We need to go right now." Marc let go of Carlos and looked at Layla. Carlos stumbled back coughing. He fell back onto a pillar and rested. He knew he should close his eyes but he's feeling tired. Maybe just a little nap. He knows he can't.

"Marc, no. No. What happened to my father?" Layla yelled to Marc.

"Listen to me. We need to leave right now. I will explain everything, I swear. But we have to go." Marc told Layla but she wouldn't listen to him.

"Did you kill Abdullah El-Faouly?" She asked with tears in her eyes.

"Of course not. Of course I didn't." Marc told her quickly. He knows something is wrong with Carlos. But he doesn't know what.

"But you were there. You were there." Layla told Marc her eyes watering. Marc didn't know what to say, "Yeah, you were there."

"I was there. Yeah, I was there. Yeah." Marc spoke softly, guilt suddenly taking over his neutral expression.

"And how did he die?" Layla stuttered.

"My partner got greedy and he executed everyone at the dig site. I tried to save your father, but I couldn't save him. And I..."

"No. But you brought a killer right to him. Right?" Layla snapped pushing Marc.

"Guys... stop.."Carlos whispered knowing he won't be heard over Layla's yelling.

"Yeah. Yeah. He shot me too. I was supposed to die that night. But I didn't die that night. And I should have. I've tried to tell you since the moment we met." Marc explained looking at Layla.

Layla laughed derisively. "I just didn't know..."

"Oh, my God. That's the reason that we met. You just had a guilty conscience." Layla said in a shocked tone. There was sudden thudding.

"They're here." Marc said going over to Carlos noticing the blood stain on his shirt, "oh shit Carlos"

"I'm fine..."Carlos spoke weakly with a weak smile. Marc found something to wrap the wound with.

"No your not fine.. stop saying that now just don't move" Marc wrapped up Carlos' wound and kissed his forehead.

"Is there another way out?" Layla asked looking at Marc and Carlos.

"Go, find it. I'll hold them off. Come on!" Marc yelled as he grabbed a golden weapon. Carlos groaned as he got himself up and limped to Marc.

"Just you? The rest is silence. I remember the first morning I woke up knowing that Khonshu was gone." Harrow spoke as he walked up to Carlos and Marc, followed by his men. With guns. Some of them came to attack them and Marc and Carlos defended themselves.

"The quiet was liberating. You're a free man. And, of course, with that freedom comes choice." Harrow explained as Carlos holds his side in pain. "And right now, you have a very important decision to make. Okay"

Marc killed a few more of Harrow's men. Then he must have lost it. He grabbed a gun and shot Marc twice sending him into a little shallow pond.

"Marc!" Carlos yelled then turned to Harrow, "Murderer!"

"I can't save anyone who won't save themselves." Harrow spoke quietly as he handed the gun back.