Chapter 12: Roman Almost Puts Two and Two Together

CW: mentions of a messy divorce

The sun was about to set when Remus got back to town. His feet hurt from all the walking he's done today, but despite that he wasn't relieved when he saw home. At least he's coming home with good news! But his dad must be pacing back and forth right now.

If Remus wasn't planning on telling them that Roman is safe, then he would be sneaking into his room and pretending this never happened. It would only last for the night, and his dad would be even more upset in the morning when he realizes that his son is safe. But it delays the wrath of Nico.

That wasn't the case, unfortunately. So Remus went up to the front door and pulled out his keys. When he opened the door, his attention was immediately brought to the living room. His father was sitting on the couch, and Thomas had an arm around him. The mayor's free hand was being held by both of Nico's, who looked like he was about to start crying.

Both of them looked up when the door opened, and Remus felt guilty about thinking of hiding in his room for the rest of the night. Nico jumped up immediately and ran over to him, wrapping him in a hug.

"Where have you been?" He shouted, pulling back from the hug. "Delores said you weren't at work today! I was so worried!"

"I... Sorry dad." Remus looked away from his eyes. He didn't think he would hate seeing his dad this worried about him. "I went back to the forest to look for Roman. But I have good news!"

"I told you to not go back there, it's too dangerous!" Nico let him go and stepped back. "What if you were taken too!"

Remus looked back at him. "That's the good news! The dragon witch isn't bad! He actually saved Roman!"

Thomas stepped forward. "What do you mean? Last night you said you heard Roman shout that he was being held there."

"Turns out I was wrong and Roman was an idiot. Only one out of those two things are a normal occurrence. Roman wasn't kidnapped, he broke his leg while out in the forest! I snuck into the castle and found him! The dragon witch isn't actually evil, he said he was keeping Roman in the castle until he either healed enough to walk home on his own, or someone comes for him. Apparently they don't have horses. But we can go there tomorrow and bring him back home!"

Nico frowned. "What do you mean? It- you said that the dragon witch..."

His father looked so conflicted. Remus sighed, "I know what I said, but I was wrong. I promise you, the dragon witch won't hurt Roman. If you want, we can go back there now! They might be asleep by the time we get there, but you can see Roman!"

"Woah, Remus." Nico put a hand on his shoulder. "How can you be sure it's safe? It's a dragon witch! How do you know Roman wasn't placed under a spell? Or even..." It was clear he didn't want to say it, but Remus knew he was going to say 'you.'

"I don't know about Roman, but I sure as hell ain't placed under a spell. I did see a tree that was struck by lightning near the castle, and Roman told me that he broke his leg after Guinevere bucked him off when she got spooked by lightning. I don't think it's hard to believe."

His father was still wringing out his own fingers. "Alright... first thing tomorrow, we'll go to the castle. If Roman really is safe, I'll tell Janus so and that his services aren't needed. But I don't know... It's a dragon witch."

Remus crossed his arms. "Not all magical creatures and 'monsters' are evil, dad. Let's give this guy a chance. He seems like a decent person. He helped Roman."

"He's right, hun," Thomas said. "Not all dragon witches are evil. And besides, Remus has come back to us twice. If this dragon witch is evil, then he wouldn't have come back the first time. I heard that they all have keen senses of smell."

"I snuck past him the first time, he didn't know I was there!" Plus the rain washed out his scent, but Remus wasn't going to remind them of that.

"Fine, but I'm bringing a bat or knife or something," Nico stated.

"Ooh I'd love to see you fight! Now I wish the dragon witch was evil. Anyway I'm gonna grab some dinner and go to bed-"

"Hold on now, I'm not done with you." Nico grabbed his arm. "I thought I told you not to go into the forest today."

"Ah shit."

~~~

"Good night, Roman," Patton yawned, turning down the hall to walk to his room.

"Good night, Pat," Roman replied.

Virgil had already gone to bed, not very long after dinner. He seemed tired, Patton said it was something about him being an introvert and not being used to talking to strangers so much. Roman didn't understand it, though he did try. If it were him, Roman would be ecstatic to talk to people for the first time in who knows how long. Virgil was clearly very different.

Logan was similar to Virgil, but only when it came to being an introvert. He's not very talkative, compared to Patton at least. However he hadn't gone to bed yet. He was downstairs in the library doing some late night reading.

Roman turned to walk to his room. He and Patton had walked up the staircase closest to his hall. As he turned the corner, he glanced at one of the doors the prince had told him was off limits. It looked the same as always, dark mahogany wood and golden handles. It was a lot like Virgil's door, and it was a corner room just like the prince. Maybe it was a round room too, a bedroom?

Maybe it was a room for an important person. There could be someone in there, someone that wants to hide from him just like the prince did? Or...

Or it could be empty. Abandoned.

A cold feeling washed over Roman. That could very well be the room to the king and queen. Virgil's parents. Now that he was thinking about it, what happened to them? Logan and Patton call Virgil a prince, not a king, so he couldn't have had a coronation.

Actually... Logan mentioned a dragon witch, one other than Virgil. He said the dragon witch was the reason no one remembered them. Could they have killed his parents as well? It would make sense why Virgil would want him to stay away from the room. But how could he stand to see the door himself? No doubt it hurt.

It hurt Roman when his mother walked out of the house. A jacket wrapped around her, glaring daggers at their father. It was a messy divorce, but it happened so long ago. She's still alive, maybe. Remus sends letters to her, but he never gets a reply. He was hurt most by her leaving, they were close.

But what if she had been killed? What if both of their parents died? Roman wouldn't stand to live in the same home, let alone go into the room. Or let a stranger go into the room. It was definitely best if he stayed away from it.

The only question he had left is... what is the other room for? And why does Virgil not want him to go in?