Chapter 29: Odd One Out

Janus really wanted to sneak out of the castle, but Remus seemed to want to stay up all night long. He let the hunter take the bed and said he would sleep on the floor, but sleep was the last thing he did. He got a bunch of paper and decided to draw, write, or do something with it, Janus didn't care to look.

He even pretended to sleep hoping Remus would follow his lead, but after hours had passed and Remus still stayed awake, the hunters body forced him to fall asleep. It's a miracle he felt comfortable enough to do so in Remus's presence.

Even when he woke up, which was as the sun was rising, Remus was awake. Janus wasn't sure if he went to sleep or not, but he had plenty of energy so he must have. Then again, he might just be a demon himself and not need sleep.

The annoying twin at least had the decency to let Janus wash up in peace before dragging him downstairs for breakfast. The hunter prayed that it wouldn't be as awkward as it was the night before.

It was still too early to retire to bed, so Remus dragged him around the castle showing him around. It really was a home made for royalty, but there haven't been any royals in this land since... well he pondered it all night but he cannot for the life of him remember the last king's name. Or even what happened to him! It was certainly not a history he was taught, so why couldn't he shake this feeling that something else was at play?

Regardless, after he was shown around, Remus wanted to hang out with the dragon witch. During conversation, he finally caught the dragon witch's name: Virgil. It was strangely familiar, but perhaps he read about it somewhere in a book a long time ago. It's an old name, so it wouldn't be a surprise.

Aside from catching that snippet of information, not much else was said. Not anything important really. Roman seemed uncomfortable in Janus's presence and kept himself close to the supposed prince, Virgil hardly spoke except to reply to anything, and Remus was his usual talkative self. The other two humans, Logan and Patton, stayed with Virgil the whole time, sending the hunter glares occasionally.

Needless to say, it was a relief to be left in a room, almost all alone. He sorely misses his own home and Remus certainly wasn't helping.

The eccentric twin brought him to the kitchen where a nice smell was coming from. He burst the doors open and took a deep breath with his usual exaggerated movements, puffing his chest out and letting his shoulders slide down with a loud sigh.

"What's for breakfast, pops!" he asked, clapping his hands together.

"Pops?" Patton asked, an amused smile tugging at the corner of his lip.

"Just a nickname cause you seem like a father figure to Virge. I should start calling you it, considering how close my brother has gotten to him."

"So you've noticed too? I figured something was happening between them. Oh, but to answer your question, I'm making oatmeal with some berries and honey! The berries are from our garden, I just picked them, so they're extra fresh!" He gestured to the bowl of blueberries and raspberries.

Remus hummed to himself. "You know, I'm not a big oatmeal fan, but that does smell and sound good."

"You should always try things once."

Janus stood off to the side as he watched Patton pour a few bowls of oatmeal. He noticed him when they first walked in, and now he seemed to be ignoring the hunter. It was better than the constant glares he was getting.

It didn't really matter anymore. After breakfast, he's leaving and he's never returning to this castle. That would be best for everyone here.

He glanced over to the door when he heard more footsteps. Logan walked in first, looking dressed and ready for the day. He was quickly followed by Roman and Virgil, who both looked like they just woke up.