Chapter 28: Janus is Going to be Killed

"It's getting late," Patton noted, looking outside the window from the dining room. "Maybe you should stay here for the night, Remus. We have an extra guest room."

"The dark doesn't bother me, besides dads might get upset if I don't return home."

Roman was about to remind him that their father would rather they stay safe than follow their rules before his brain registered what he said. "Did you say 'dads?' Plural?"

"No, I said dad. You need to get your ears checked."

"I heard 'dads' too," Virgil backed Roman up. "And my hearing is better than all of yours."

"Your hearing might be but you still misheard, I said dad. I only have one after all."

"I think you were including Thomas," Roman teased.

"Was not! He is not family, and he will never be." Remus crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair.

"Whatever you say, I think he's growing on you."

His twin stood up. "Well I'm definitely not staying now."

Virgil took a sip from his water with an amused smile on his face. He froze when he heard a faint tapping. "I think someone just knocked on the front door."

"Maybe it's dad," Roman offered. "They could be looking for Remus."

"I'll go check," Remus offered.

"I'll go with you," Patton said, standing up from his chair. "You're a guest after all, it would be improper if you were to answer the door for us by yourself."

"Oh joy..." Logan sighed as the two left. "I fear for Patton. Your brother is certainly... lively."

"You can say it, he's chaotic," Roman agreed.

"Considering my first impression of him was him breaking my window... I think chaotic is an understatement," Virgil chuckled.

"I'm surprised Remus hasn't gotten to Patton yet, there are very few who can stand him."

"He's not that bad, at least he's not scared of-" the three of them jumped when they heard a loud door slam, "me... Did you guys...?" Virgil stood up and Roman followed, Logan was already up and heading to the door.

As they walked down the hall to see what had happened, they heard Patton yell, "No way am I talking to him!" It was enough to get the three of them to rush to the front door.

"Patton, what's going on?" Logan asked, lightly touching his elbow.

The usual smile he had on his face was replaced by a scowl. "That hunter is back," he growled.

"Are you kidding me?!" Roman exclaimed, looking at Remus who certainly seemed upset, but looked more conflicted than anything else.

"He says he just wants to talk," his twin told them.

Virgil frowned. Well... at least he didn't break in, but it could still be a trap. However there's a chance it's something else. So far this hunter is the most dangerous person in the village... it would be beneficial to try to change his views.

Without a word, Virgil pushed past Patton and Remus and opened the door, ignoring Patton's surprised gasp behind him. Janus was there and it looked like he was just about to leave as he was turned to go down the steps from the castle.

The hunter opened his mouth to speak as he turned back to him, but Virgil beat him to it. "What do you want?" he asked rudely.

"I just came to apologize," Janus started. "I realized, perhaps a bit too late, that you are not a monster. Not an evil one anyway. I feel guilty for attacking you, I should have listened to reason instead of jumping to conclusions based on nothing but what I have been taught."

Frowning, Roman pulled the door open further so he could be seen. "So you came to swallow your pride and admit you were wrong, is that-"

Remus interrupted him, throwing the door all the way open. "It's about time you come to your senses! It took you way too long!" He reached forward and grabbed Janus's arm, pulling him in. Everyone else stepped back from the hunter, Patton moving in front of Virgil.

"What are you doing?" Patton asked. "Why are you bringing him in? He's not welcomed."

"Well now that he's not posing a huge threat, I want to show him the prince ain't so bad so he won't change his mind later."

"Wait, prince?" Janus asked.

"It's a long story that I'm probably not at liberty to share."

"No you are not," Logan agreed.

Roman stepped between Janus and the rest of the group. "And I doubt he's welcomed here, considering he attacked us, Remus." He sent his twin a glare. "Thanks for the apology, Deceit, but it's time to go."

"I understand, it's late anyway."

"Exactly! It's late!" Remus insisted. "It would be safer for you to stay here with us for the night."

"What?!" Virgil yelped.

"I'm sure he can handle himself," Patton huffed, crossing his arms.

Janus nodded. "Really, I can."

"Probably, but you never know." Remus shrugged. "You can share a room with me."

"I'd rather sleep in the forest."

Roman grabbed Remus and pulled him closer, away from Janus. "Seriously, what are you doing? Why would you possibly want him to stay the night? I thought you hate him!"

"I'm kinda iffy on that, he's grown on me." Remus's voice turned into a whisper and he got closer to his twin so only he could hear him. "But I don't trust him. Not exactly, you don't just change in a few hours." He pulled back and told the rest of the group. "I'll keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't pull anything, I'll stay up all night if I have to! What do you say, princey? You're a hospitable guy!"

"Really Remus, do you think the prince would be comfortable with the hunter here?" Logan asked.

"Let him stay," Virgil spoke up, surprising everyone and himself.

"Are you sure?" Roman asked, wondering what he could possibly be thinking. Maybe the same thing as Remus...

"As long as Remus stays with him, and he's not alone for a moment. I don't trust him that much."

Patton looked away from everyone and crossed his arms. "Well I don't trust him at all."

"Neither do I," Roman mumbled.

"I really shouldn't stay," Janus said, starting to regret coming to apologize.

Remus hooked his arm into the hunter's and pulled him further into the castle. "Yeah you do, you gotta see that the scary dragon witch is actually just a normal guy! And you gotta prove you're not so terrible yourself. After all, you did attack them. You should try to build some trust so they won't be afraid of being attacked again. Now let's go to our room!"

Logan sighed, "I suppose I'll show the way."

A/N: I'm gonna go on hiatus, things will be picking up in the next chapter and I'd rather post every day rather than every week, don't wanna leave you guys on unbearable cliffhangers ;)