Chapter 34: Trauma for Trauma Trade

CW: talk of child death, and death in general

When he heard the voice, Virgil froze. It took a few seconds for him to recognize it, after all it wasn't full of anger and pain. However, he would never forget her voice.

He tried to open his mouth to warn the others, tried to turn away and run, but he felt as frozen as a statue. Everything in him was screaming to move as footsteps came towards them, heels clicking against the tiles.

Janus grabbed onto the handle of his sword and stood in front of them, snapping his fingers to call Saint to his side. The dog did as commanded and stood in an open stance, ready to bolt in any direction if necessary.

There was silence as the footsteps grew closer and a figure of a woman came around the corner. At first she seemed ordinary. Her features were sharp and angular, her hair was dark and long, though it was shorter around her face. She wore a dark dress that wrapped around her body with slits on the sides. There were dark lines following her eyes, thicker on top. She could easily be mistaken for a human if it weren't for her red eyes.

Those bright red eyes that Virgil remembers seeing in his nightmares. This was the woman- the dragon witch, that took everything from him.

She studied them, not moving even when Janus pulled out his sword. Virgil tried to warn him that he would never beat her in a fight but his voice wasn't cooperating with him. He was terrified that Janus would end up just like all those knights that tried to protect him and his family.

"Two monster hunters and a dragon witch...?" the woman mused allowed. "How peculiar."

"We-we don't want trouble," the kid told her. "We're not with the monster hunters anymore."

"Quiet!" Janus warned. Then to the woman. "What are you?"

She didn't answer and instead stared at Virgil, who's grip on the horse's saddle tightened. "You... I remember you. You're that prince that I cursed. How long ago was that?"

The kid and Janus looked at him, seeing the terrified expression he wore. It looked like he was going to pass out on them any moment now. The lady dragon witch looked him over and clicked her tongue in disappointment.

"What happened to you?" she asked softly.

Anger flared up, consuming the fear in his chest. It gave him just enough courage to speak. "You... you happened," he told her. "You turned me into a dragon witch, you killed my family! You killed everyone in the castle!"

"Not true, I spared the children."

"Well doesn't that just make you a saint."

"Virgil!" Janus warned, not wanting to anger the more dangerous dragon witch.

"I was angry with your father, who just so happened to be a king. He took everything from me, so I went and returned the favor."

"What are you talking about? How could he have taken everything from you?!"

She waved her hand to dismiss the topic. "It doesn't matter now, my anger has subsided. Besides, I was never upset with you, I just used you to hurt him. I suppose I should make it up to you, you're clearly on the run with those two humans, why don't you rest here for the night."

"That's not happening," Janus said.

She rolled her eyes and walked towards them, Janus pointed his sword towards her. Her walk didn't slow and she just waved her hand, making the sword get thrown to the side.

"Oh please, I'm not going to hurt you. Though I understand the caution and applaud you for having some brain." She glanced at him as she came closer to Virgil.