Eight

23 June 2020Emersyn Ripley

23 June 2020
Emersyn Ripley

You've got me addicted, Romeo.

The way you called for me was so gentle, you knew I'd be out in the garden and proceeded to tell me that you are here for me when you realised I was sad. I don't think you understand how much that means to me, I've never had anyone for me yet you stroll easily into my life and now you're promising to help me escape the marriage my parents have planned.

You called me sweet girl.

Romeo, you made me feel so warm, so cared about and I've never felt like that before. It made me want to kiss you, I didn't tell you then but I don't kiss people, intimacy scares me but you make me feel safe.

You kissed me so gently, yet so passionately; I could've cried. Do you know how you're making me feel? Do you feel the same?

In my garden, hiding a secret from our families, you admired me. Your eyes traced so gently over my features; saving them to memory like you needed to remember every freckle that littered my skin, every imperfection, the exact colour of my eyes.

You called me Juliet, did you know that Romeo and Juliet fell in love at first sight? That they were addicted to one another instantly even though their families were enemies, maybe that's why I call you Romeo.

Maybe we're risking too much, the kiss in the hallway was reckless but I couldn't stop myself. I needed to feel your lips on mine again, to feel the peace you bring me, the warmth, the safety.

You told me I was risking a lot while brushing your nose against mine, looking down at me like you wanted me to stand in front of you forever. Risking everything to be with you is worth it, I meant that when I uttered the words to you and they made the most beautiful smile appear on your face.

And now you're going to climb up the side of my house fully aware doing so could get you hurt because my parents would shoot you instantly if they saw you. You're risking your life to spend a few hours with me, maybe you find peace with me?

Is your mind erratic? Are there nights you just can't settle your thoughts, Romeo?

I hope you can tell I truly do care for you. I know I haven't been the friendliest but our past has made it hard for me to stay cold towards you, knowing you stayed with me in the hospital changed my perspective.

You stayed, Romeo, no one's ever done that before.

I appreciate you, is it crazy that the word 'love' comes to mind now when I think of you. I think you're making me realise things and I don't want you to stop, keep mak-

"Fuck!"

Sharply lifting my head from my journal, I look towards the balcony doors that are flung open with the white curtains blowing wildly in the June night breeze.