Prologue

A young girl of seven years old, found herself at the edge of her home island. The blue ocean waves gently kissed the sandy shore, occasionally pushing different kinds of shells onto the sand. That's why she was here in the first place, collection shells for her father. Her father loved unique looking shells, and his birthday was coming soon, so now was the perfect time to find some. After a while of searching, she couldn't find one unique shell. Just as she was about to give up, something from the corner of her eye, caught her attention.

She hurried over to the strange object, no, not an object, a...fruit? She picked up the odd looking fruit and examined it. She sniffed at it and felt her stomach rumble. When had she last ate? Not since breakfast, which was a few hours ago. She figured a little snack wouldn't hurt, and so, she took a bite. The fruit had such an odd flavor, nothing like she's ever ate before. And so, she decided not to finish it. She looked back into the forest, deep within, was her village. "I should be heading back." She says before looking back at the fruit in her hands. "Maybe papa will know what this is. He's smart!" She smiles as she makes her way into the forest.

• • •

The girl was halfway to her village when she noticed something strange. A small vine had wrapped around her leg. "Huh?" She pulls her leg loose from the vine. That was strange, none of the plants on this island moved on their own. Perhaps it was just an overgrown vine that had gotten caught around her leg. She shrugged it off and continued walking. Suddenly, a butterfly had flown in front of her view. The girl giggled and reached for it, to her surprise a vine rose with her movement and shot past the butterfly, nearly skewering the winged insect. "Ahh!" The girl screamed in shock.

The vine reacted to her and started shooting outwards like roots of a tree. "W-what's happening!?" She whimpers. Another vine started wrapping around her legs and curled up to her abdomen. She screamed again, fearing that the vines would constricted around her. "Papa!" She called out, hoping that he would come rescue her. Thorns started to poke out from the vines, they pricked at her skin, causing her blood to flow from the punctures. "Papa!! Papa!! Please help me!!" She screamed desperately.

Just as she began to loose hope, a man came charging to her. "Y/n!!" He called back. "Papa!" Her father grabbed at the vines, ignoring the pain from the thorns stabbing his flesh. His daughter came before his own well being. He tore the vines from her body until there were none around her. He then scooped her up in his arms and began to run. "This is not right! The fauna of this island should not have a mind of their own!" The man said aloud.

"Or perhaps a damned devil fruit user was here..." He growled. "D-devil fruit?" His daughter whimpered. "Yes, cursed fruit that give whoever consumes them, horrible abilities. It is not natural." He explained. The girl's eyes widened. "Was that the fruit I ate?" She mutters. Her father's speed slowed to a stop. "...What? What did you say Y/n?" He looked down at her.

"T-there was a weird looking fruit on the shore...I-I ate it papa. I didn't know..." She sniffles. Her father's knees nearly gave in at her words. "Dear child...you ate that cursed fruit didn't you? Please tell me this is a lie! He pleaded. "Papa, I'm sorry..." Her father held his daughter closer to him. "This is not good child...the village elder will..." Her father began to run again.

Her father finally made it back to the village. Everyone gave him concerned glances as he ran past them. "Elder!" He called as he stormed into the Elder's hut. "Haku. You seemed troubled, what is wrong?" The elder spoke gently. "My daughter...she ate a devil fruit." The elder stared at him in dead silence. "What?" His voice went from soft to stern. "Haku, how did this child get her hands on such a thing?" He asks. "She said it was on the shore. It must have washed up." Haku told him. "It is my own fault, do not be angry with my daughter. I am the one who failed to inform her of the cursed fruit. If you must be angry, be angry with me." Haku bowed his head. The elder sighed heavily. "Just what kind of ability does she posses?"

"I believe it was something to do with plants. As you can tell from our wounds, thorns and vines were wrapped around her." He explained. "Haku...you know what we must do." The girl's father looked up at the elder with desperate eyes. "No...please, she's only a child! She would not harm anyone, I'll have her control it! No, I'll have never use her ability! I'll do whatever, just please do not take my daughter away from me!" He got down on his knees and begged for the elder to change his mind.

The elder looked down at the girl, who was more than terrified by the situation. What was the elder going to do with her? She doesn't want to hurt anyone with her cursed abilities, she would never. She doesn't want these abilities at all! "I will have to think this over, Haku. Until then, I suggest you keep that girl in your home, and make sure there are no plants around her." Haku exhales shakily. "Thank you, thank you so much Elder." He picked up his daughter and hurried back to his home.

• • •

Fortunately for Haku and Y/n, she was allowed to remain in the village. But she would have to be watched 24/7, she would never be allowed near plants. She could not be allowed outside of her home after a certain time of day. And absolutely never under any circumstance, may she use her abilities. Or else, the village will banish her.

And so this is the story, of how this young girl, lived with her curse.