Chapter 3

"So Y/n." Nami began. "Are you all alone? I haven't seen any towns or villages around yet." Y/n hesitated. What could she say to that? She sighed and stopped walking, the rest following suit. "It's just me. There's nothing else." Nami was suspicious. "Yeah? You sure there's no one else?" Y/n began walking again. "Yep. Here we are." Y/n moved a giant leaf out of the way, ahead of here was a grove of freshly grown fruits. Luffy already raced ahead to get some. "Wow, this place so lovely." Nami walked next to Y/n. "It's not much. There's vegetables near here too, but if you want meat, you'll have to catch it." Y/n explained.

"Alright, then we'll do just that. I'll cook us all a meal tonight." Sanji takes a puff from his cigarette. Y/n turned her head to Sanji. "Is food really all you guys came for?" She asks. "That's right. We need to stock up as much as we can, thanks to our greedy captain." Y/n looked ahead at Luffy, who was stuffing his face. "What an odd guy." She muttered. "I can't believe I got worked up over nothing." These pirates were different, it seems. If they were really here to cause harm, surely they would have killed her and raided her village by now. Right?

"Help yourselves." Y/n began to walk away. "Where are you going Y/n?" Asked Nami curiously. "Hm? Back to my home." Well, it wasn't much of a home. More like a tent made of branches and leaves. It shielded her from the harsh weather and the fireplace she made kept her warm at night. She couldn't ask for much more than that. "I was going to leave the rest to you guys."

"Don't you want to stay for dinner?" Asked Sanji. "You helped us out after all. It's only right that we thank you." Y/n thought about it. These guys really weren't here to cause trouble after all. But...there's no way she could fully trust them. They were still pirates after all. So she shook her head. "No thanks. I really should be getting back."

"Back to the rest of the people that live here?" Zoro asks. Y/n gives him a look. "I already told you. It's only me."

"Oh please, you're a terrible liar." He counters. Y/n glares at him. "And so what?" She began. "What if I did lie?" Everyone else went silent, the atmosphere had changed from a light hearted one to a more serious one. "Then, why did you lie?" Y/n crossed her arms. "Is it so wrong for me to not trust a bunch of strangers, especially pirates."

"So there is a village?" Luffy asks. "Great, let's go there and-"

"No." Y/n said sternly. "You're not to go anywhere near that place. You hear me?"

"Aw, why not?" Luffy pouts. "Because!" Y/n couldn't blame them for wanting to harm the village, but did she know that for certain? Pirates could be devious, they're untrustworthy. "Pirates aren't welcomed in that village. They'll just send you all off with a few missing limbs." Luffy chuckled. "Oh so they wanna fight?" Y/n clenched her fists. "No! They don't!" She yelled. "You don't step foot in that village! I won't let you, any of you!"

There was a brief silence, before Luffy spoke up. "Is it that important to you?"

"It is." Y/n nods. "I won't allow anyone in that village to be harmed. Even if I have to fight, even if I die trying." Luffy smiles. "Alright then. We won't go anywhere near it." He turned back to his food. Y/n blinked a few times. "What?"

"You heard him. We won't go to your village." Said Zoro. "Captain's orders?" He looked to Luffy, who nodded back. "Captain's orders!"

Y/n couldn't believe this. Were they serious? They really won't go to her village, just because she said not to? "You...You're really not going to do it?"

"If Luffy says no, then we won't." Chopper tells her. "Can I ask why it's so important?" He asks. Y/n's expression changed into one of sadness. "I love everyone in that village so much...even if they don't feel the same, even if they hate me, I still want all of them to be happy and safe."

"Hate you?" Usopp questions. "I was exiled a week ago. All because of this." She raised her hand and made the grass around her feet grow and sway. "You got exiled for growing grass?" Zoro raises and eyebrow. "I can do more than just grow grass. Besides that, it's a curse, having devil fruit abilities in my village. It's the whole reason my village despises me. It's why I was exiled."

"But that doesn't matter." Y/n said, wiping away a stray tear. "They're all important to me, especially my father. I care about that village more than my own life. I'll protect it at any costs." Y/n turns away from them. "You had better keep your word." With that, she walked away.

• • •

Y/n sat near the fire she built that night, knees held to her chest, she stared into the flames. She thought about what her father was doing, if he was ok. He hasn't come to visit her yet. Perhaps he's picking the right time to do so? So that he doesn't look suspicious. She hoped that's what it was. She thought about the village, she remembered her life spent there. Life was good there, until it wasn't. She sighed. But really, she didn't regret what she did. If she hadn't did what she did, would that kid have died?

Her thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice.

"So this is where you stay?"

Y/n gasped and turned behind, it was Luffy. Y/n settled down. "You again. What are you doing here?" She asks. "Just wondering around, and I found you." He grinned. Y/n turned back around. "Well you found me. Now what?" Luffy sat next to her, which she found to be odd. She hugged her legs close to her chest. "Don't you get lonely out here?"

"Of course I do." Y/n tells him. "But it's not like I can just go back. They'd probably kill me if I did."

"And you still care about them, even knowing that?" Luffy asks. Y/n nodded. "So they're like...your treasure?" Y/n gives him a confused look. Luffy takes off his hat at stares at it. "Everyone's got a treasure, even if they don't know it. This here is mine. And that village is yours, right?"

"I...guess so." Y/n was more confused to why a hat was Luffy's so called "treasure". "Don't pirates prefer gold and jewels over straw hats?" Luffy laughed at that before putting his hat back on. "A lot do. But this is worth more than any treasure I could have."

"You are really unlike any pirate I've ever seen. You know that?" Y/n asks, still looking to the fire. "Is that good or bad?" Luffy asks. "Good, I think. You're not trying to kill me or steal from me. So that's a first." Luffy's grin dropped. "You ever see a pirate before me?" Y/n nodded. "They almost wiped out our village...They killed my mother." Silence followed after that.

"I can't trust a pirate." Y/n finally spoke. "Not after all they've done. Not just to me, but to so many other innocent people. I wonder...just how many people have pirates made suffer because of their selfishness?" Luffy said nothing to this. He just laid back and looked up at the stars.

"Nice view."

Y/n nodded. It was something she liked about sleeping out doors...Yeah, it was a nice view.

• • •

That night, a group of pirates has docked on the other side of the island. They had one goal, find any treasure they could get their hands on. And if anyone stood in their way...

"Kill 'em all." Smirked the captain of the group. "We attack first thing in the morning men."