Keep Away

Wren

It's been one blissful week since Kilian told me that he loves me. One week of having a boyfriend and sleeping in bed with him. I'm incredibly happy and today is my eighteenth birthday. Kilian won't tell me his plans but just that he has some. He left early this morning to go get stuff done and he borrowed my car so I'm kind of stranded all day.

I've been packing up random things in my room, it's weird to think of moving out of here but as many good memories as this house has, there are some unfortunate ones too. I haven't talked to my mom since she ambushed me and Kil in my room last week.

Quin made the cheerleading squad so she hasn't been home for dinner all week and she just grabs whatever when she gets back. She's grown up so much that it's kind of crazy. I guess the extra responsibility will do that to a person.

Dad is not doing well. He's spends most of his time in his bedroom. He's drinking a lot but he's not mean when he drinks, he just sleeps. I suppose it's normal for someone to go through a phase like this when they're going through a divorce. He says the whole thing won't be messy, mom isn't asking for anything, and she's going to sign over her rights to us and the house willingly. She admits that she drinks too much but she doesn't want to quit.

Gael and Declan are great. I thought for sure it would be awkward for them to be around Kil and me now but it's not, it's the same as always. They tease us if we get lovey-dovey but I think everyone is like that. I apologized to Gael for my part in Homecoming-gate and he is okay, he said that he thinks everything worked out for the best.  

Kilian has been encouraging me to get back to my songwriting. It's hard because without a guitar, it's just words on the page but I still like it. Ever since my mom got drunk and threw my guitar over the loft and smashed it I haven't played. Dad offered to buy me a new one but it didn't feel right. As long as mom was in the house I never knew when she would go off next, now I feel like I can finally move on and try again. It feels like after everything we've been through, life is starting all over again.

"Hey! Happy Birthday!" Quin squeaks as she steps into my bedroom.

"Thanks, Quinny, what are you up to today?"

"Hanging out with my favorite sister."

"I'm your only sister."

"You know what I mean, let's go to the mall or something."

"You're up to something," I accuse.

"Maybe, now c'mon."

"Kil has my car," I protest.

"Dad said you can take the truck, let's go..."

"Ugh, alright."

Once we get to the mall we grab a coffee and head to the only store I like. It's a boutique that has unique clothing, and some vintage items different from what you find in the other shops. Quin hates it but it's my birthday so I win. After we peruse the shop for a while Quin drags me to the food court and makes me eat a pretzel.

"Can we go home now? I have a lot to do," I insist.

"You're not supposed to be working on your birthday."

"But..."

"Damn Wren, Kilian wants me to keep you away!"

"Oh, well, why didn't you say so?" I giggle.

She rolls her eyes at me.

"Can we go to the lake instead? I just don't like the mall as much as you," I explain.

"You're the birthday girl."

We both get in the car and I make my way to Cedarwood Lake. It's one of my favorite places, we spent lots of summers during our childhood here and it is one of our happy places. We find a nice place to sit in the grass and watch the sun gleam off the water.

"Do you remember when we used to play food spies?" Quin asks.

"Oh my God, yeah, that's so funny, weren't you like Special Agent Popcorn?"

"Yes, Snowball..."

We giggle and laugh for a long time remembering being little kids until Quin has a realization, "You're officially all grown up now, huh?"

"No more food spies," I say playfully but it hits me in a soft spot.

"I'm happy for you and Kilian, really, but I'm going to miss you," Quin admits.

"We won't be far away. You can come over whenever you want."

"I know, and I have a lot going on with school and cheer but I just know, it's going to be weird not seeing you every day."

"I guess it was always going to happen eventually but I'll miss you too."

We share a hug and it was nice but I'm desperate to get out of this emotional space, "So how long do you have to keep me away?" I ask.

"Until 4..."

"What is that boy up to?" I laugh.

"Can't tell."

"Why not?"

"Well, I literally can't tell, he didn't even tell me because he said I'm not good at keeping secrets," she giggles.

"I guess he's right considering you already told me that he said to keep me away."

"Well, what should we do?"

"I don't know, maybe we should go to the flea market? It's been so long..."

"Yes! Yes! We can find stuff for your new apartment."

"We'll see, I'm supposed to be saving money right now," I caution.

We get back into my dad's truck and drive to the flea market. We used to come to the market all the time with our Grammy when she was alive. She never had a lot of money but she liked spending time with us and spoiling us so she taught us how to thrift and we still love it to this day. 

After spending a few hours shopping in the sun and digging through the treasures of the flea market Quin gets a text from Kilian saying that it's finally okay for me to go home. We buy our last finds and drive back to the house. When we get there Kilian is standing in the driveway and he looks incredibly handsome.

"Quinny! Look at him, I'm underdressed," I exclaim. 

"No, you look perfect. C'mon, go to him."

I get out of the car and run into Kilian's arms, "I missed you today," I whisper.

"Me too, but I think you'll like your surprise," he says before he holds me tight.

He kisses me and then takes my hand, he waves goodbye to Quin and leads me towards the backyard, "Okay, close your eyes."

I do as I'm told but it's hard not to let butterflies rise in my stomach. I always just hang out with the guys for my birthday, if I'm lucky I had a cupcake, this is so different.