Serious

Wren 

After Kilian and I both clean up and get dressed we go down to my car and head toward the hospital.

"Hey, if you get overwhelmed just squeeze my hand or something and we'll get right out of there," he says.

"Okay, thank you."

We pull up and park then go into the hospital, we find a nurse's station and start inquiring about my mom, they direct us where to go. Kilian squeezes my hand tight when we walk through the door.

"Mom?" I ask, softly.

"Wren?"

"Yes, mom, it's me and Kilian."

"I didn't know if you would come," she says seemingly hiding a smile.

"I wanted to make sure you're okay. What happened?"

"I had a seizure, I'm under observation," she explains.

"How do you feel?"

"Okay... tired."

I notice that her skin and eyes look yellow, "Mom, are you sure you're okay?"

"I want a drink but I'm okay," she laughs.

"Mom!" I yell and Kilian takes my hand as if to calm me.

A doctor enters the room and looks shocked to see us, "Oh, sorry to interrupt, are you family?"

"Yes, my daughter and son-in-law," mom responds.

I'm briefly shocked at her use of the term son-in-law but happy they didn't make Kilian leave.

Y"our mother has Alcoholic Hepatitis. She needs to stop drinking in order to get treatment," the doctor says with a serious expression.

"Mom."

"What if I don't?" she asks.

"Your liver is failing, you don't have a lot of options," the doctor explains.

"Okay, how do I get out of here?" mom says and I realize she is acting like I was when I was in the hospital, I guess it's only natural to want to go home.

Just then the door to her room opens again, and a man steps inside.

 "Hi sweetheart," my mom says with a grin.

I blink my eyes twice and shake my head to clear it but I'm not seeing things, that's... "Roy?" I ask.

Understandably I am more than shocked to see my dad's best friend standing in this room with my mom calling him sweetheart, "Wait, stop, what's going on?" I gasp.

"Roy and I are engaged," my mom grins.

"What?!" I yell, Kilian can sense my anger and tries to guide me toward the door but I pull away. "Listen, you need to stop drinking and get better. Quin is terrified. Dad is in shambles," I say but I can feel the tears coming, I've got to get out of here.

"Wren," my mom pleads.

"I can't, I'm sorry, I hope you get better but I can't do this."

I allow Kil to pull me out of the room and he grabs my face in his hands so I have to look at him, "Who was that?"

"My dad's best friend," I explain.

"What?"

"He's had it bad for mom forever but would never make a move on her because of dad, well apparently he changed his mind," I scoff.

"Wrenny," Kil looks sad like he doesn't know what to say.

"Engaged? They're not even divorced yet!" I rage.