Ch 15: Champagne Problems

"Your heart was glass, I dropped it"

For the first time in months, Ser Rickard escorted me to the table. I smiled to him before sitting down. Jace sat down beside me as the room remained quiet with whispers here and there, no one willing to talk aloud for everyone to hear.

The door opened as four knights brought in the King on his chair. Everyone stood up at his entrance until he was placed in between Alicent and Rhaenyra. I looked at my mother who was on the other side of Daemon. She looked to still be furious with me as she quickly looked away.

"How good it is.. to see you all tonight.. together" the King said.

I watched as he looked at Rhaenyra then to my mother.

"Prayer before we begin?" Alicent said.

"Yes" he said.

I clasped my hands together, setting my elbows on the table.

"May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love" she said. "May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon may the gods give him rest."

I looked at Daemon who was smirking at Rickon who showed no remorse. My glance went to Alicent as her chair creaked from her movement.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems" the King said. "My grandsons Jace, Luc and Rickon will marry their cousins Lyanna, Rhaena and Baela, further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young Princes and Princess.. and their betrothed."

"Here, here!" Daemon said.

We all raised our cups, when I noticed Aegon was sitting on the other side of Jace.

"Well done, Jace. You'll finally get to lie with a woman" Aegon whispered.

I didn't bother looking at him, taking a sip of my wine.

"Let us toast as well Prince Lucerys.. the future Lord of the Tides" the King said.

"You do know how the act is done, I assume? At least in principle? Where to put your cock and all that" he continued. "I'm sure Lyanna can guide you, she does like it when you-"

I choked on my wine as Jace put his hand on my thigh. Aegon noticed this, leaving Jace alone.

"Jester if you wish, but hold your tongue before my betrothed" Jace said.

He glared at Aegon who looked at me before returning to his seat fully. Our heads turned as the King stood up from his seat.

"It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow to see these faces around the table. The faces most dear to me in all the world.. yet grown so distant from each other.. in the years past" he said.

He removed his mask, showing his eye gone and face rotten.

"My own face.. is no longer a handsome one.. if indeed it ever was" he said. "But tonight.. I wish you to see me.. as I am. Not just a king.. but your father. Your brother. Your husband... and you're grandsire. Who may not, it seems.. walk for much longer among you. Let us no longer hold ill feelings in our hearts. The crown cannot stand strong if the House of the Dragon remains divided. But set aside your grievances.. if not for the sake of the crown... then for the sake of this old man who loves you all, so dearly."