Ch 16: Mirrorball

"And when I break it's in a million pieces"

I stood along the shores, staring at the water. I had the feeling something was wrong in the pit of my stomach before I heard of the news the King was dead. My grandfather was dead. And alls that left of him was the words he last spoke to me. They plagued my mind anytime I went to bed, or anytime I was alone with only my thoughts to keep me company.

The line of succession was clear as day that Rhaenyra was to be the Queen. But a small part of me wished it was me instead. I never cared to be Queen until my grandfather put the idea into my head that our house and our dragons could go extinct.

My family.. my house... my dragon meant the world to me. 

It had only been a few days since we left Kings Landing. Aegon's word echoed in my brain as I looked at the water. The color reminded me so much of Aegon's eyes, causing pain in my chest. It hurt so much and yet I could never tear my eyes away from it. 

"Lyanna" Jace said. 

I turned around as he walked towards me, putting his hand on my cheek. His touch, as it normally was, was calming. It made the pain go away the moment his skin touched mine. 

"I'm sorry for the way I acted" he said. 

Jace and I had barely talked since we arrived back at Dragonstone. Our fight seemed to linger in both our minds. He was right to be angry, I couldn't blame him nor did I. I couldn't imagine being in his situation, to hear what he had between Aegon and I. We were betrothed and I had broken his trust by having sex with Aegon. 

"You were right to act the way you did" I said. 

"No" he said. "I never want to raise my voice at you again."

I smiled, kissing his cheek. 

"It is time" he said. 

I nodded as we walked hand in hand for the funeral. I stood beside Jace, watching Rhaenyra and Daemon mourn the loss of their daughter as Ser Erryk walked towards them. The knights guarding both of them, stood strong, drawing their swords.

"I mean no harm, brothers" he said.

Daemon stepped forward, allowing Ser Erryk to come to him. He kneeled down as Rhaenyra turned around. He pulled out my grandfathers crown as I gasped.

"I swear to ward the Queen.. with all my strength.. and give my blood for hers" he said. "I shall take no wife.. hold no lands.. father no children. I shall guard her secrets.. obey her commands. ride at her side, and defend her name and honor."

Daemon grabbed the crown from him, going to place it upon Rhaenyra's head. He was the first to kneel as everyone else did the same. It seemed as though I was the last to do so, turning around to Rhaenys to see she was the only one standing. We made brief eye contact before I looked back to Rhaenyra.

I stood near the fire, watching its flames change. I hadn't said a word to my mother or Rickon since they had come to Dragonstone. The both of them, like Princess Rhaenys, were kept as prisoners, having to prove loyalty to Aegon. It hurt knowing he had been crowned King, knowing full well Alicent had heard what my grandfather said. 

I turned around as Rhaenyra entered the room with her guards and my mother beside her. My mother didn't look at me as a twinge of hurt hit me. I walked to stand beside Jace as I looked over the map in front of us.

"What is our standing?" She asked.

"We have thirty knights, a hundred crossbowmen, and three-hundred men at arms" Daemon said. "Dragonstone is relatively easy to defend but as an instrument of conquest, our army leaves a lot to be desired. We have sent word to my loyal men in the City Watch. I'll have some support there, but I cannot speak to the numbers."