Ch 9: The Archer

"I've got a hundred thrown out speeches I almost said to you"

I hadn't talked to or seen Aegon in days. It was killing me and yet I was perfectly fine at the same time. Nobody had known about the betrothal between Jace and I. Only my mother and Rhaenyra had known. They wanted to make it an official announcement soon as both were thrilled.

I was happy to marry Jace but a part of me felt guilty. Like I had in someway betrayed Aegon. We all were still unsure when we were to announce it. I know my grandfather would be ecstatic but the pit in my stomach wouldn't go away no matter what way I looked at it.

"Lyanna?" Rickon said.

I turned my head to look at him.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I nodded, trying my best to force a smile. By the look on Rickon's face I knew it wasn't very convincing.

"Tell me" he said.

"Jace and I are to marry" I said.

"That is good news!" He smiled.

He noticed my grim face as his smile faded.

"Is this about Aegon?" He asked.

"I love Jace" I whispered. "But I love Aegon."

I threw my face into my hands as tears streamed down my face.

"I didn't realize it was this bad" he said.

"I don't know what to do" I said. "It feels right but it doesn't."

"You can't choose Aegon, you must know that" he said. "The greens know. They are using your attraction towards him to their advantage."

I looked up to him, wiping my face.

"If you choose Aegon, the realm who sides with Rhaenyra will accept Aegon as their King" he said. "And I don't mean to sound like Brandon or mother, but it's the truth. They're using you."

"And what about Aegon? Do you think he is using me?" I asked.

He took a deep breath as I began to get angry.

"Answer the question, Rickon!" I snapped.

"It's painfully obvious he loves you" he said. "You can't do anything about it."

I looked away from him as he grabbed my arm.

"Please tell me you have not done anything?" He asked.

"I'm trusting you as my brother, don't tell anybody" I said.

"I promised to protect you, and that means protecting your secrets" he said. "But do not make me look a fool."

He let go of my arm as we walked down the halls to our mothers chambers. We stood outside her door as I hesitated to open it.

"Go back to your chambers, I'll tell mother you're sick" he said.

I smiled, turning around to go back to my chambers. It took me double the time it normally would as I walked slowly.

Once I got to my chambers, I went to lay on my bed, not bothering to change out of my dress. I laid there for sometime until someone knocked on my door.

"Yes?" I yelled.

I heard the door open and close as I lifted my head up. Aemond stood at the foot of my bed with something in his hand.

"You are the last person I was expecting" I said.

"I have something for you" he said.

He left a small piece of paper on the edge of my bed before walking to the door.

"From who?" I asked.

"I think you know" he said.

I grabbed the paper as he left.

Lyanna,
  Please meet me in the dragon pit

There wasn't a name on it but I had read Aegon's handwriting too many times to know it was his. The fact he sent Aemond to deliver it itched me the wrong way. I never trusted Aemond, nor have we ever had a normal conversation that didn't end in an insult or fight.

I pondered for a few minutes before ultimately deciding to meet with him. No matter how I saw it, I couldn't ignore Aegon. It killed me not to see him.

I walked down the hall alone as Ser Rickard walked down the other side of the hall with a note in hand.

"A message for you, Princess" he said.

He handed me the paper in his hands as I hesitated to open it.

"It is from your father's younger brother" he said.

"Cregan?" I said. "I haven't talked to him since my father died."

I read the message, running down the hall to Jace's quarters. I walked through the door, not bothering knocking as he turned around with a smile on his face.

"My betrothed" he said.

"We need to go to Winterfell" I said.

"Oh?" He said. "Now?"

"Now" I said. "We leave at nightfall."

I went back to my chambers, forgetting about Aegon and his note as I began to get ready to leave for Winterfell.