Ch 17: My Tears Ricochet

"Even on my worst day, did I deserve, babe, all the hell you gave me?"

Starfye landed as I hopped off her.

"Get some rest, sweet girl" I said.

I kneeled down to the snow, grabbing a hand fall as I watched it fall through my fingers. I walked to the Great Keep, ignoring the stares I was getting from the people of the North. I pushed past the guards, walking into the Great Keep to find Brandon.

I walked down the halls until I was met with two guards standing outside a door. I went to walk past them when one of them grabbed my arm. I tilted my head, looking at his hand. 

"Do you know who I am? I am Princess Lyanna Stark, sister of the Warden of the North" I said. "I need to speak with my brother immediately."

They exchanged glances as he let go of my arm opening the door.

"Princess Lyanna Stark!" He yelled.

Brandon was sitting at the head of the table in what seemed to be a meeting. He stood up, shocked at my presence.

"I need to speak with you alone, brother" I said.

He looked at the lords, motioning for them to leave. He came to hug me as I held my hand out.

"I do not come for leisure" I said. "There is a war coming."

"I heard Aegon had been crowned King" he said.

"I need to tell you something, I have only told Rickon" I said.

We sat down at the table as I took my gloves off.

"Our grandfather is dead, Daemon thinks Alicent and Otto had him killed" I said. "I don't know how truthful that statement really is."

"Tell me, Lyanna" he said.

I bit my bottom lip to stop it from quivering.

"There's so much I need to tell you" I said. "My life has been a mess since you left. And I understand you had duties.. but I needed you."

I wiped a tear that escaped from my eye.

"We had gone to Kings Landing to plead a case for Lucerys Velaryon as the rightful heir to Driftmark. There was a dinner with all of us, it was a celebration of sorts for the betrothal of Luc and Rickon as well as distilling Luc as the heir to Driftmark again.." I said. "I was ordered to the Kings chambers. He told me that he did not want Aegon.. or Rhaenyra to rule... he wanted me."

"What?" He said.

"He told me he did not wish for either of them to rule. He said he fears what will come to our house and our dragons if I do not" I said.

"Does mother know?" He asked.

"Alicent told her, but she did not believe her. She's so stuck on Rhaenyra being named Queen" I said.

"Alicent knows?" He said.

"She heard it. I didn't realize she was there" I said.

"Why are you here, Lyanna?" He asked.

"Since Aegon has been named King, Rhaenyra is gathering her allies in the event a war breaks out. Luc is at Storms End to convince Lord Borros Baratheon to her side, and Jace is at The Vale to talk to Lady Jeyne Arryn. And I, although I volunteered, was sent here" I said.

"You will fight for her right to the then when our grandfather wanted you to rule?" He asked.

"I was hoping you would help me with my decision" I said. "I don't think I'm fit to rule."

He rubbed his face, sighing.

"Our father made me promise to protect you" he said. "I will support whatever decision you choose to make. Although, I must say if our grandfather wanted you to rule.. the North will only bend the knee to one."

"I don't have the resources. I cannot start a war" I said.

"House Tully, Greyjoy, Frey will also be at your aid" he said.

"I can't, Brandon" I said. 

"You feel you are unfit to rule? Why?" He asked. 

"I don't have the experience Rhaenyra does" I said. 

"She's sixteen years older than you, she's going to have more experience in almost everything" he said. "But you've sat through meetings with our grandfather, you've seen what he did to protect the North."

I looked at the painting behind him of our father and grandfather. 

"You are the most courageous woman I have ever known. A spitting image of our mother but a Stark at heart" he said. "You have the Power of the Dragon. If anyone is to protect and rule the Seven Kingdoms.. it's you, Lyanna."

I took a deep breath, putting my head in my hands when a guard ran in.

"Prince Brandon, a dragon has been seen" he said.

"Are you sure it is not Darksmoke?" Brandon asked. "He's been coming around more often."

"It is neither yours or the Princess Lyanna's" he said.

I grabbed my gloves, running outside before Brandon said another word. I looked up at the sky, trying to get a better look at the dragon. I saw the dark red scales, recognizing the dragon as my mothers.

"Put your bows down! That is my mothers dragon!" I yelled.

I watched as Saphira lowered to the ground when I noticed something in her mouth. She set down what appeared to be a body, nudging it towards me as I slowly walked to her. She screeched into the air, when I felt her pain.

My breathing came to a halt when I noticed the body belonged to my mother. I fell to my knees as Brandon ran up next to me. He noticed our mothers body, hesitantly walking towards it. I began screaming out as tears ran down my face.

Brandon called for his men to take our mothers body out of sight as he walked over. He had a piece of paper in hand as I snatched it from his hands. I read the contents, burning it as a small flame left my hand.

"That was attached to her belt" he said. "Rhaenyra had sent her to go to Kings Landing."

I walked to Saphira, putting my hand to her head.

"Who did this?" I asked, shakily.

I felt my mouth twitch at her answer. The tears did not stop falling down my face as Celia ushered me into the Great Keep. She sat me down at the table, calling for tea as she put her hand over mine. 

"It's okay" she whispered. 

I stood up, falling to the ground, crying out in pain. My chest felt like it was closing in as Celia ran to me, wrapping her arms around me. I leaned towards her, closing my eyes as I continued to cry out.