Ch 20: Midnight Rain

"He wanted a bride, I was making my own name"

Only a few days had passed since my return to Kings Landing. The people of Kings Landing had watched in awe as I was crowned as the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. Rhaenyra had always thought they didn't want her as Queen simply because she was a woman, and yet they bent the knee so easily to me.

The marriage between Aegon and I happened only a day after. By old tradition we had a Valyrian wedding. Helaena had ultimately killed herself a few weeks prior, she was starting to go mad, throwing herself off a balcony and landing on spikes. This death caused Alicent and I to grow closer. She had lost her daughter and I had lost my mother, in a way we were finding them in each other.

I sat at the head of the table as I looked at Rickon. I had named him Hand of the Queen while leaving Ser Criston as Commander of the Queensguard. Originally I had wanted to name him Commander of the Queensguard but he felt he'd be better suited as the Hand. 

"So, what is their plan of action?" I asked.

"Daemon wants to take Harrenhall" he said.

"Where is Prince Daeron?" I asked. "I heard he was coming back."

"He is on his way, Your Grace" grand maester Orwlye said.

"Tessarion will be crucial to our cause" I said. "Any news if Rhaenyra has gotten more houses to her side?"

"House Arryn has officially declared for Rhaenyra as Queen" he said.

"My brother should be arriving soon. He was to talk to House Greyjoy, Tully and Frey" I said. "With the death of Lord Grover, that leaves his son Elmo to be head of house. His daughter married to my brother, I don't doubt he will back my claim."

"The blacks have six full sized dragons" Aemond said.

"And we have just alone in this room five" I said. "Two of which are the largest dragons alive. My brother is coming in on Blacksmoke and Prince Daeron with Tessarion. Meleys and Caraxes are the only real threats."

"They plan on training dragon riders to claim the unclaimed dragons" Rickon said. "They also have dragon eggs from Syrax."

The doors opened as Ser Rickard stood beside Brandon.

"Prince Brandon Stark, Warden of the North" he said.

Rickon stood up, walking to Brandon as they exchanged in a long hug. It had been years since they had seen each other. They broke apart as Brandon went to sit at the table. I tapped my fingers on the table, looking around. 

"I don't want to go into a war, I'd rather talk with her" I said.

"She won't give it up" Alicent said.

"I can't justify going into a war without reasoning with her" I said. "If a war is imminent, that's fine, I know we'll win. But I'm willing to talk with her. Much of the realm has already sworn to me."

"We should go soon before Daemon and his loyal subjects take Harrenhall" Rickon said.

"Rickon, Aemond, I want the both of you to accompany me. The best swordsmen in the realm" I said. "Brandon, I want you to secure a plan with Ser Criston to ensure Harrenhall stays with House Strong and does not get into the hands of the blacks."