4

Over the course of that first day and the day that followed, Frank had smoked more cigarettes than he had probably over the entire last month in total.  He had really been trying to curb his habit of late, but the disappointment of meeting Gerard had left him reeling. 

He had really tried that first day to see some glimmer in Gerard’s eyes – anything to give him some hope that he recognised something in Frank.  He just seemed disconnected though.  Shut away in his garden retreat and quieter than usual (according to Kayleigh anyway).  He slept so much too.  Frank couldn’t believe how someone could just doze off so easily.  The Gerard he knew was somewhat of an insomniac, much like himself.  That’s when the two of them would ‘put the world to rights’ or talk about random shit way into the early hours of the morning, when it was just the two of them still wide awake.  Frank missed those times.  Just him and Gerard, talking quietly and enjoying each other’s company.  It was during one of those nights that the two of them first kissed, and from then on in, they were besotted with each other.

Frank rubbed his face harshly as he looked over at his friend lay down on the couch with a blanket draped over him.  He was like an old man – needing a nana nap after his lunch.  Kayleigh busied herself preparing something that she could make for dinner later in the day and again sorting Gerard’s medication for when he next needed them.

“Seriously, does he really need all that?” Frank grumbled as he watched Kayleigh fill the little plastic dish once again with a multitude of tablets.

Frank had noticed over the last twenty four hours, that Gerard was definitely more ‘with it’ as his meds wore off.  He seemed to take in his surroundings more and Frank was certain that he’d even caught him looking in his direction once or twice, turning away quickly when Frank happened to catch his eye.

“Well he must do” Kayleigh shrugged. 

“I dunno Kayls” Frank began.  “Don’t you think he seems a bit more awake and lucid just before he’d due to take them again?”

“Well yeah.  But he has to have them.  Lindsey was insistent on that.  She said that he doesn’t like to take them, but he must.”

As Kayleigh went to the bathroom, Frank took the opportunity to snap a quick photograph of all the labels on the medication.  His aunt was a nurse and he planned on sending them over to her to question what the fuck they were all for?  Just as he was putting his phone away, he noticed Gerard begin to stir from the sofa where he’d been sleeping.  His meds weren’t due for a couple of hours, so he planned on spending a little time with his friend before he had to take them again and get all fucking sleepy once again.  He decided to actively observe the change in Gerard as his meds wore off.

“Hey there sleepy!” he said as he walked over to the couch.

Gerard sat up and rubbed his eyes, offering a small smile in Frank’s direction.

“Hey” he mumbled.

“So what do you wanna do?” Frank inquired.

Gerard looked out to the back window and Frank knew he wanted to go back into his little den.

“Why do you like it in there so much?” Frank asked.

“It’s quiet” Gerard said softly as he stood to head out.

“Can I come?” Frank asked.